Sign in with
Your question

New Workstation-gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
November 21, 2009 1:39:36 PM

hi friends,

i m gonna build a pc mainly for 3d rendering as well as gaming.

i m going for an i7 920 system...........and gtx 275 896mb graphics................

please suggest the following :

A good Mobo for i7 920.....sli capable.........

memory with good timing........6 gb for extensive renders.......(please explain the timing and cycle funda to me...its confusing)...

Power supply......optimum...not too high.....(keeping in mind electricity cost)....

7.1 channel sound card..........

cpu cooler.....not too expensive......

dvd burner x 2.....fast one......

hard disk......1tb or dual 500 gb..........(please specify raid...i dont know much abt it).....

wi-fi router and signal receiver card............

my budget is $1000 usd including i7 920 and gtx 275.........(if possible in Indian rs. 50,000)........

u can pls suggest another chipset and graphics if this wont do........

expecting speedy reply.....thank you....

More about : workstation gaming

a b 4 Gaming
November 22, 2009 2:01:11 AM

It will be easier to recommend parts to you if you fill out the build advice form in my signature...
m
l
November 22, 2009 4:02:10 AM

jbakerlent said:
It will be easier to recommend parts to you if you fill out the build advice form in my signature...

i didnt get what u say......i m a total newbee
sorry...
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2009 4:08:58 AM

i think u meant this...........

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week

BUDGET RANGE: (1000 USD)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 3d rendering, gaming, video editing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Os, Monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, ebay.in

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: India

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, SLI OR CROSSFIRE: yes... in future.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: a quiet pc with good ventilation.
Power supply...optimum...not too high.
Intel preferred....but can consider AMD if it serves better for my purpose......

thanx.
m
l
November 22, 2009 4:51:52 AM

Stick with the i7-920

Go for an ATI HD 5000 Series graphics card. DirectX 11, and they are competitively priced.

Lower timings are better. See this Wikipedia article for an explanation of CAS Latency: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency) Short-hand version:
DDR3 1333 RAM with latencies of 7 (7-7-7-?? Timings) will outperform DDR3 1600 RAM with latencies of 9. However, tighter timings are more expensive.

Either go for DDR3-1333 RAM with CAS Latency of 7 (which will be slightly cheaper), or go for DDR3-1600 with CAS Latency of 8 or better (slightly more expensive, but better performance).

Use a Samsung Spinpoint F3. Great performance, and cheaper than the competition. Your budget probably will not allow for RAID. RAID is a broad term to define different ways that multiple physical hard drives can be combined into a single logical drive.

RAID 0: Combines two hard disks into one. Giving you storage space equal to the sum of their combined capacities. The advantage of RAID 0 is that it gives you somewhat better performance, because your CPU can access both hard disks simultaneously; thus, you are not bottlenecked as much by hard disk read/write speeds. The disadvantage is that this is more risky. If either hard drive suffers a hardware failure, the information on the entire RAID array is lost.

RAID 1: Mirrors one hard drive onto another. Whenever a change is made to the primary drive, same changes are made to the RAID drive. There is no capacity or performance gain. This is strictly to protect against a hardware failure (in case one drive fails)

RAID 5: Combines the best of both worlds. Combines 3 or more physical hard disks into one. The ultimate storage capacity is equal to the sum of all drives, minus one drive. RAID 5 grants you a performance boost, and gives you extra capacity, but also protects against a hardware failure in case one drive fails.

Depending on which graphics card you settle on, you may need up to 750W if you want to support SLI or Crossfire in the future. For now 550W should be sufficient. Remember, just because a power supply has a maximum wattage of 750 does not mean that it will always draw that much power. The power supply draws as much power as the components it is supporting.
m
l
November 23, 2009 3:57:46 AM

nofun said:
Stick with the i7-920

Go for an ATI HD 5000 Series graphics card. DirectX 11, and they are competitively priced.

thanx nofun for ur reply....

but i've heard that ati 5850 is having problems with multiple displays in win 7..........is it true ?

what is nvidia's equivalent to 5850...within same price and performance......

thanx again.......
m
l
November 23, 2009 4:28:46 AM

jaidev_goswami said:
thanx nofun for ur reply....

but i've heard that ati 5850 is having problems with multiple displays in win 7..........is it true ?

what is nvidia's equivalent to 5850...within same price and performance......

thanx again.......

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the specific issues you're talking about. It MAY be due to the drivers just not being as polished as they could be. There's a lot of new technology in the 5000 series (Eyefinity, etc) and it may just be that the drivers have not kept pace. Again, though, this is just me guessing.

The HD 5850 performs similarly to the GTX 285, which costs about $370 at the moment (or $70 more than the 5850). An upper-end GTX 275 will run about $280. The GTX 260 is still a solid choice, and is very competitively priced. At ~$170 it's about the same price as an HD 5770, and it delivers slightly better performance.
m
l
November 24, 2009 2:06:13 AM

hey jaidev.....even i am from india.....the main problem with the guys abrod are they are getting the stuffs at a much lower price...but in india the prices are high...
so we have to think twice before buying

ur having an i7 920-14000/-
motherboard-gigabyte ga ex58 ud5-16000/-(this is an awesome motherboard)
gpu-gtx 275-13000/-(u can wait a little for nvidia to drop prices because their gtx 300 serie will be launced this month or next month)
ram-crosair 6gb gaming kit or go for zion 2gb x 3
psu-crosair 700watts-7500/- or go for cooler master 650 watts(they have a few items but watever u choose make sure u get an 80 certified one and sli compatibility)
cpu cooler-Noctua NH-U12P Core i7 Edition-3000/-
u dont need a 7.1 until u just wanna have a sound card......bcause the mobo i suggested u is pretty awesome with gr8 sound..check out the reviews..
dvd burner-24x lg,samsung,asus,lite on-1100/- each
cabinet-cooler master cm 690-4500/-
hard disk-2x500 gb will have higher performance in respect to 1 tb but will cost more tooo.....
so depends on ur budget
even i am building a new comp and keeping a 180 gb hdd for boot and 1 tb as slave
180 gb-1800/-
500 gb-2800/-
1 tb-3800/-
i have no idea of any wifi router or anything lyk that so cant be of any help there.............

and u can go for any dx11 card though let me tell u these are bloody costly here in india.......u can also look at ati 4890 its pretty awesome too,similar to gtx 275
at a price much lower....
4890 costs about 10000/- while gtx 275 costs 13000/-
and dx11 card will be much costlier....that is what is stopping me to suggest u one........because u also hav a tight budget as with me...........

its going much abouve ur budget....so decide wisely !!!!!

and one more thing lower ur buget by about 10000/- when asking someone from abroad...because here the prices are higher than the ones they will tell....

best of luck bro enjoy !!!!!!!
m
l
November 24, 2009 6:59:05 AM

tunnelrat said:
..the main problem with the guys abrod are they are getting the stuffs at a much lower price...but in india the prices are high...
so we have to think twice before buying

hi tunnel rat,

what u say is correct but at places like lamington road, mumbai (hardware paradise of mumbai),
the price difference between abroad and india is quiet negligible.......

so i can try there with the same budget and get a nice rig.......

as far as sound card is concerned, i am also going to use my pc for recording vocal clips n experience them from a 7.1 channel speakers..........thats y i asked for a card.......i dont wanna spend that much on a mobo, just around 9000-10000...

i have a laptop as well as another pc for surfing the net.........so i asked for a router and receiver card.........home network...

ati 5850 is available at rs. 14500-15000 at lamington rd........so whats the harm in getting one...its future proof as well...

thanx again for ur advice......
m
l
November 24, 2009 7:22:10 AM

man i didnt know u live there....ur lucky !!!!!!!!!!

i m stuck in kolkata......prices are very high here !!!!!!!!
if that the case go for a 5850 that will be awesome.....but at the money ur alloting for the mother board...there isnt any other than msi which i wont suggest at all.........
better go for core 2 quad Q9550 and any gigabyte p45 or x38 ir x48 mother boards...
if u need help tell me...i will help u choose !!!!!
and get a xi fi extreme from creative......

though i dont have much idea abt them !!!
m
l
November 25, 2009 8:43:32 AM

hey tunnelrat thanx for ur advice,

i was wondering,
whether should i go for,

1....x58 board with usb3.0,
2....p55 board with usb 3.0,
3....x58 / p55 board with 3.0 (not on board) but pci-ex 16 usb 3.0 card, scsi 600 card....

pls answer.......considering the drawback of p55 of only one 16 lane pci-ex. channel
and x58's enormous power consumption.
and ofcourse future-proof........gulftown 6 core.

pls note.... my pc will be for more 3d renders than gaming.

can i consider a cheap quadro instead of ati 5850 or gtx 275.
m
l
November 25, 2009 9:53:58 AM

dude listen up
getting an x58 board will be like
ur future is quiet sevcure for sometime having the highest capability motherboard....
go for gigabyte ga ex58 ud7

its too awesome...have seen the board.....its just two awesome......
if ur going for boards u can also try p55
but from wat ur saying they dont have just one 16 lane........they have many more...see this one....
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

go for the either p55 or x58.....look at the other motherboards gigabyte is offering....its pretty darn gooooooooddd!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
!