mike12

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hi.

I have decided to upgrade my old TFT 17" monitor to a new HD 24"-26" (preferably 26") monitor. I would also like it to be able to recive TV however i can buy an external reciver if not built in and also play movies (most likely from an external hardrive). The primary use would be PC and xbox though.

Would anyone be able to suggest a good monitor/TV?
Also what would be the difference using a TV as a monitor?

Many thanks, Mike.

PC Graphics: ATI 1900XT 512MB

ckaz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
The only dif betwee a TV and Monitor setup would be size, and perhaps some performance as well.
With TV's, your usually paying more for the HDMI, where as with monitors, it has become a bit more standerdized.
Your graphics card worries me. Make sure it can support an HDMI connection, or you'll be looking at the reciever, and make sure it can support at least 1920x1200 resolution as well.
As for a monitor, I would recommend the http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-u2410/4505-3174_7-33772972.html?tag=mncol;lst

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
That graphics card should be fine if it has a DVI connection. DVI is equivalent to a video only HDMI connection.

The monitor Ckaz recommended is good, although pricey. For a TV tuner look into the ATI theater pro. If you are running Windows 7 you will want the 750 series (the latest one).
EDIT: The only difference between the TV and a monitor is that a TV includes a tuner. This isn't really a technical difference; more of a pricing difference, but monitors tend to come with better resolution and response times for the price than TVs do.

TRENDING THREADS