Are some laptop CD/CDRW/DVD drives interchangeable?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 10:55:53 PM

Recently I learned that in the Thinkpad 600 series
laptops, IBM used the Panasonic UJDA310 for its CDRW.
However when I scan on Froogle I find that there are
still some of these for sale (used), with no reference
to Thinkpads. Therefore I wonder if some or many
laptop CD/CDRW/DVD drives are interchangable.
Anybody know?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2004 6:09:32 AM

ziliath wrote:
> Recently I learned that in the Thinkpad 600 series
> laptops, IBM used the Panasonic UJDA310 for its CDRW.
> However when I scan on Froogle I find that there are
> still some of these for sale (used), with no reference
> to Thinkpads. Therefore I wonder if some or many
> laptop CD/CDRW/DVD drives are interchangable.
> Anybody know?
>
> Thanks.

Bought a LiteOn combo drive (LSC-24082K) recently for about $125 CDN.

Works great in my 600e. All you need to do is remove the drive caddy
from the original CD-ROM and screw it onto your new drive.

Check the following page for a general idea on how to do this "swap":
http://www.thehistoryofcomputers.com/items/3461552560.h...

It should slide right into the bay after that, like the original.
!