Recently I added a network card and hard drive to my
system and now when I reboot the systems says:
"Detecting...."
"BIOS is not installed"

Most things work just fine, but I'm having trouble adding
a plug and play USB hub.

Any thoughts?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If the "BIOS is not installed" statement was really true then you couldn't
possibly boot the computer.

Could be it means the network card can't be found. Remove it and see what
happens.

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:38:03 -0700, "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com>

>If the "BIOS is not installed" statement was really true then you couldn't
>possibly boot the computer.

System BIOS isn't the only BIOS. Display cards, SCSI controllers and
LAN cards can all have their own BIOSs.

>"HCollins" <hamnshan@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> Recently I added a network card and hard drive to my
>> system and now when I reboot the systems says:
>> "Detecting...."
>> "BIOS is not installed"

LAN cards used to use the option to include a BIOS that could boot an
OS from a server. This was popular in diskless workstations for
Netware, in the DOS and Win3.yuk days.

Most LAN cards don't bother with this anymore, so they usually ship
without the optional BIOS. So at boot time, you may see "BIOS not
found", meaning that the LAN card doesn't have this BIOS and thus
can't be expected to boot an OS from the network (good!).

Recommended action: Do nothing :)

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...