Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 21, 2009 2:15:46 PM

Approximate Purchase Date : This week.
Budget Range : $1300~ after rebates.
System Usage : Gaming, Programming, Video, Usual Stuff.
Parts Not Required : Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor, Case, Video Card.
Preferred Website : Newegg.ca or Ncix.com
Overclocking : Yes
Crossfire : Eventually.
Monitor Resolution : 1440x900
Additional Comments : The monitor will be upgraded as soon as I see a good deal on Newegg.

CPU : Core i7 920 - $310

RAM : G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1600 - $179

Motherboard : ASUS Rampage II Extreme - $335 ($55 i7 Combo, $30 Mail-in Rebate)

Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $115

Power Supply : Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850W Modular - $170 ($10 Mail-in Rebate)

CPU Cooler : Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B w/ Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste - $75

CPU Cooler Fans : Scythe S-FLEX SFF21G - $30

Optical Drive : Sony Optiarc Black - $33

Sound Card : OMEGA Striker 7.1 - $90

Total : $1235

Additional Additional Comments : Back for round two. About a month ago I posted that I was building a computer, but decided to wait and here I am again. I am receiving an Antec 1200 case, and a Radeon 5850 for christmas so I thought I could splurge a little on other parts (HD, RAM, PSU, Cooler). Normally never would have gotten the Rampage II, but it's hard to look over $85 off after rebates and combos.

So basically just making sure everything is compatible before I order the parts this week. Also I heard a rumour the price on the PSU was dropping this week, can anyone confirm/deny?

More about : 1300 gaming

November 21, 2009 4:54:52 PM

I would switch out your RAM to OCZ Platinums 6GB with Cas7 timings for $100 less. Dominators are nice but not worth $100 more... IMHO.

I'm not sure of the PSU prices but Newegg is starting there "Black Friday" sales starting Tuesday, so there should be great deals during this week.
m
l
November 21, 2009 5:16:37 PM

tecmo34 said:
I'm not sure of the PSU prices but Newegg is starting there "Black Friday" sales starting Tuesday, so there should be great deals during this week.

Oh? Will these deals be lasting the whole sales period, or is it different deals each day?
m
l
Related resources
November 21, 2009 6:08:41 PM

It looks like possiblely different deals each day up till Black Friday, well according to my Twitter messages (yeah... I know I said Twitter :lol:  )
m
l
November 21, 2009 9:41:22 PM

That is an awesome build!

However, I am a little miffed at Newegg for raising their prices just before Black Friday. The i7-920 was $289 a few weeks ago, and now its $310! I suspect Newegg will offer sales on Black Friday to bring the price back down. If you live near a Microcenter, you can pick up an i7-920 for $200 anytime!

The CPU cooler, Prolimatech with Noctua fans, is probably the best performing HSF available today, and with the Noctua fans, it will be very quiet. However, it is also very expensive ($141). I recently purchased a Zalman CNPS10X Quiet ($52) for an i5-750, and my CPU idles at 20 C and maxed out at 47 C after 10 hours running Prime95. There are many other CPU coolers available that will give you 95 percent of the performance of the Prolimatech at less than half the cost. But you probably already knew that, and are willing to pay a little more to get the very best there is. Thats OK. There is something to be said for the peace of mind one has knowing that they have the best components available inside their case.

Enjoy building your new computer -- I am little jealous!
m
l

Best solution

November 21, 2009 10:23:13 PM

These CAS 6 were $204 2 weeks ago but have vanished from the face of the planet
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CAS 7 can be had as cheap as $163 .... $120 more to spend !

The WD Black 2 TB is a hot performer but it's 1 TB cousin relies on three 333 GB platters instead of the 2 TB model's four 500GB platters. My recommendation would be a 500 GB per platter drive from Seagate (7200.12) or Samsung (F3). With a 500 GB platter, 50% more data moves under the heads w/ each revolution.

As for the megashadow....my son bought one. The black finish is no big deal....next time he'd opt for the Megahalems (Rev b) as would I. Save another $18

As for the fans....read this about Noctua's line of GREAT case fans:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

A very unusual fan from an Austrian company posing as a research institute. Unusual blade design produces more airflow than usual, but possibly at the cost of reduced pressure. Reports from real users have suggested that, despite measuring higher, actual cooling power is slightly less than it should be. Noise character was very broadband and became inaudible at a relatively high voltage. However, it lacks the buttery smoothness of some other fans. An effective choice for a case fan, but the questions raised about its pressure make us hesitate to recommend it for use on a heatsink.

I been thinking of getting these due to1) their 8-14 db rating, 2) twister bearings 3) the PWM feature and 4) the detachable fan blades.:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7489/fan-437/Enermax_...

And it's gotta be said :)  .... the noctuas are kinda fugly and wil hide the pretty black finish on the megashadow.
November 22, 2009 3:50:23 PM

dpaul8: I probably should have made it a bit clearer, but the prices are in Canadian ;)  The only American site I'm using is for the Megahalems because I have a 10% discount there.

JackNaylorPE said:
These CAS 6 were $204 2 weeks ago but have vanished from the face of the planet
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CAS 7 can be had as cheap as $163 .... $120 more to spend !

Gah! I know! I was 100% set on grabbing those a couple weeks ago and then they reach their EoL and disappear. Seems my choice is between Dominator and the OCZ Platinum. Is there a noticeable quality difference between the two? I've read about a number of people having various issues with the OCZ. Really don't want to find my RAM is limiting my overclocking ability.

JackNaylorPE said:
The WD Black 2 TB is a hot performer but it's 1 TB cousin relies on three 333 GB platters instead of the 2 TB model's four 500GB platters. My recommendation would be a 500 GB per platter drive from Seagate (7200.12) or Samsung (F3). With a 500 GB platter, 50% more data moves under the heads w/ each revolution.

What kind of difference could I expect to see in every day computer use? Just trying to determine if it's something really noticeable or not. Still debating whether or not I actually need the 1TB; may end up going with the 640 Black.

I'd grab a Spinpoint F3 1TB but I can't find them anywhere in Canada.

JackNaylorPE said:
As for the megashadow....my son bought one. The black finish is no big deal....next time he'd opt for the Megahalems (Rev b) as would I. Save another $18

Decided to bump it down to the Megahalems Rev b. Not really someone who cares about looks ;) 

Regarding the fans, I'm getting an Antec 1200 and from what I hear it already sounds like a jet engine so sound is not really going to be much of an issue. I did not however know about the reduced pressure so I went browsing. What do you think about these Silverstone FM121-B fans?
m
l
November 23, 2009 9:29:28 PM

Ok so I've made a few changes over the past couple days.

Decided to go back with the Scythe S-Flex fans for the Megahalems. Was doing some research last night and those seem to be considered top stuff.

Also decided to go with the G.Skill F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI ram. I've been reading about it and heard it's some very solid stuff. Not the timings I was hoping for, but again I hear it's very solid stuff for overclocking.

Finally, I decided to add in a sound card. It's rather hard to ignore when virtually every person I talked to told me I'd notice the difference between onboard sound and a decent sound card. Looked around and the OMEGA Striker had favorable reviews and such, as well as not being overly expensive, yet not some cheap card.

Also this will put me over my budget, and I'm still shopping around, but I'm probably gonna purchase the Samsung SyncMaster 23" Widescreen LCD. Going to need a better monitor to push the 5850, and that's on sale at BestBuy for 60$ off this week.
m
l
November 27, 2009 9:30:56 PM

UnknownSoldier said:
Regarding the fans, I'm getting an Antec 1200 and from what I hear it already sounds like a jet engine so sound is not really going to be much of an issue. I did not however know about the reduced pressure so I went browsing. What do you think about these Silverstone FM121-B fans?

The Antec case fans are each equipped w/ 2 switches......one turns LED's on and off....other is a 3 speed switch. Exception is thye front 3 fans which have variable speed knobs. Im sitting next to machine now doing a prime 95 run.....all fans but the CPU fans on the HS are inaudible. The CPU ones just barely audible.
m
l
November 27, 2009 10:09:32 PM

Ironic that you should post this now, as I just finished ordering my computer. Figure I might as well list what I decided to buy instead.

Case : Antec Twelve Hundred
Video Card : Sapphire Radeon 5850
CPU : Core i7 860
Motherboard : ASUS Maximus III Formula
Hard Drive : Spinpoint F3 1TB
PSU : Corsair 850W Modular
DVD Drive : Plextor Black
Fan Controller : Zalman ZM-MFC3
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems
Fans : 4x Scythe S-Flex SSF21F (2 for case, 2 for Megahalems)
Sound Card : HT Omega striker 7.1
RAM : G.SKILL Trident DDR3 2000 4GB (2x2)

Spent a week researching and reading debates between the 920 vs 860. Finally decided that the gains for the 920 were minimal over the 860 even in Crossfire, and the only future proofing the 920 is going to do is the emptying of wallets for upgrades.
m
l