Iam using asus mb & nvidia 7025 chip set and 4gb of ram but it shows only 3g

kazama

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hello,iam using asus mb & nvidia 7025 chip set phenom prossesor and 4gb of ram but it shows only 3gb of ram pls help me

Not if the board can't remap the hardware beyond 4 GB. Its not just an OS function. The board has to support it also.

But I too am curious about the OS.

In theory. However the board still has to be able to remap the hardware memory above 4 GB. Its not clear that this board can do that. I'm not saying it can't. I'm just not sure one way or the other.

However, its all moot until he gets an OS that can address more than 4 GB.

iLiketoEat

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

I'm just wondering why it would matter to remap the hardware above 4gb if Poster only wants to recognize 4gb?

Sorry, just trying to learn. :)

A problem should be that he's using 32bit. Even if his board supports more than 3gb, A 32bit OS won't recognize more than 3gb (just a tiny bit more in some cases). If this isn't resolved, it wouldn't matter any other problem his OS has and fixes, his 32bit OS still won't recognize it.

No, a 32 bit operating system recognizes all 4 GB. The problem is that your hardware also requires memory addressing.

So lets say you have a 32 bit OS and 4 GB of RAM and your hardware needs 800MB of memory addressing. Since your OS can only address 4 GB and 800 MB is already used for hardware, you only have 3.2 GB left for memory. Your OS can't use memory if it can't address it.

Now, a 64 bit OS can address a lot more RAM, BUT often motherboards will still allocate the hardware memory mapping inside the first 4 GB. So if you have 4 GB's and a 64 bit OS but the hardware is still mapped from 3.2GB point through 4 GB's, you will still only have 3.2 GB's of usable ram.

This problem is usually fixed by a memory remapping switch in the bios which will remap the hardware above 4 GB so it doesn't conflict with the RAM addressing. But not every board supports this function. If not, your 64 bit OS will still have trouble with hardware reserved memory just like 32 bit OS does.

Its not limited to 3GB, its limited to 4 GB. But that includes ALL memory allocation. Not just RAM. Hardware gets priority. Once the hardware is allocated, the rest can be use by the ram.

The average system need about 800 MB allocated to hardware. This leaves about 3.2 GB available for RAM. So in this scenario, your system couldn't use more than 3.2 GB because thats all that the OS can address after hardware. Could be a little less, or a little more depending upon system.