Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best sound card for gaming with headphones

Last response: in Components
February 3, 2010 9:46:47 PM

So I just built a new gaming rig and am interested in upgrading the sound card from the onboard audio. I will be using this sound card primarily for games (80%), but also for movies and music (20%) when the mood hits me (I use all hi-fi sources). When gaming, I almost exclusively use my Audio-technica ath-ad700 headset, although I do occasionally use a set of razer mako 2.1 speakers when guests are over. I am looking for the best sound card (under $200) for my varied uses. Preferably, the sound card should have a built in headphone amp, as I do not currently own one. These are a few cards I've been looking at.

HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

I was originally considering a creative x-fi sound card but after seeing some horrible reviews on the forums decided against them. I am slightly curious about this card as well. It doesn't have a headphone amp but I've heard good things about it and it is much less expensive. Would this be adequate for my needs?

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

I am not tied down to this list if there are other sound cards that would be better. As I have said before, a headphone amp is preferable. Thank you for the help.
February 3, 2010 10:54:57 PM

I own an X-Fi XtremeMusic and the reason i got it is for headphones as well. It does a pretty good 3D surround emulation and also its Crystalizer feature makes most MP3s sound much better!

If i had to get a new card today though i would probably go with one of the Xonars. Creative's products are not bad, but the drivers are usually AWEFUL!

Another feature i love on my X-Fi is the EAX5 hardware support (nice for games and i play a lot so it is a good feature to have). Now the Xonars emulate EAX5 and as far as i have read they support most games, emulating almost properly, so it does not seem something that you will miss much from Creative.

The headphone amp is missed only in rare occasions where (only in movies so far) the dialogue is so low that the actors are whispering (or bad recording). That is the only case i really wanted to have one. But in 3 years now, it has only been in 3-4 movies, so even if you don't have one i guess you will be alright. In anything else i have to turn the volume down quite a bit because it is still loud, even without an amp.

Hope that helps.
Score

Best solution

February 4, 2010 8:52:02 AM

With your usage in mind, the choice is really between the ASUS Xonar Essence STX (or it's sister card, the Essence ST) and the HT|Omega Claro Halo.
Both have the same C-Media CMI8788 Oxygen HD chip, the same TI headphone amp and both offer very high quality sound.
The Xonar Dx is also an excellent card but, lacking a dedicated amp, it is not as suited to your needs.

Even with both cards being so similar, I would still prefer the Essence over the Claro Halo.
The Essence series have higher grade DAC's, ADC's, a generally better analogue signal path and can produce a somewhat cleaner sound.
They can also switch the level of amplification through software (the Halo uses a jumper) and offers emulation of EAX 5 (both support EAX 2 in hardware).

With both being the same price, I would defiantly lean towards the slightly better sound on the Essence.
The HP amp on either of these cards is quite good, much better than a dedicated amp in the $200 range even.

Gaming with either of these cards will be a real treat also.
The Dolby Headphone implementation is top notch.
I am currently using an Essence STX with my K701's and the 3d audio produced rivals what is produced with my 5.1 speakers.
I would recommend keeping it set to 6 channels with Dolby Headphone set to the medium sized room.
To me, the sound gets somewhat muddy and less accurate when you try to vitalise 8 channel sound using the Xear 3D Virtual Speaker Shifter.
Related resources
February 4, 2010 9:40:04 AM

Thanks a lot. I was leaning towards the Essence and now I'm definitely going for it. As soon as it comes back in stock at newegg.com that is.
Score
February 4, 2010 9:43:29 AM

It really does sound Awesome, it will take your ears to a new level :D 
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 4, 2010 10:59:22 AM

Agreed with outlaw. The powered headphone jack is a huge plus for the Claro and ST(X), making them to choice for headphone users.
Score
February 4, 2010 7:28:04 PM

Best answer selected by omnius19.
Score
February 4, 2010 11:34:28 PM

Possibly a dumb question but would the Xonar essence be overkill for PC-350 headset?
Score
February 5, 2010 6:13:15 AM

No, not really overkill.
Everything I have read about the Sennheiser 350's puts their sound quality a step behind most of Sennheiser's offerings, though.
If you already have the 350's, an Essence will let you tap every last ounce of their potential.
If you are considering buying them, please post your budget and I will try to point you towards a better setup.
Score
February 5, 2010 8:01:46 PM

I already have them, but at least by the sounds of it the essence will really give them a work out.
Score
February 5, 2010 11:18:45 PM

Yes, if you have a discerning ear, you will probably love an Essence.
What are you upgrading from, if I might ask?
Score
February 5, 2010 11:41:00 PM

I'm embarrassed to say......an x-fi xtremegamer

Score
February 5, 2010 11:45:51 PM

I know the pain.
Went from an eXtremeGamer to a Xonar myself.
Such a decent company fallen so far :pfff: 

Even with not quite top notch cans, I believe you will be able to tell a major difference.
The Xonar cards I have listened to really are so much cleaner and crisper than Creative's cards....
Score
February 6, 2010 2:29:26 AM

Cool, sounds good. Thanks for the help :) 
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2010 2:38:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!