4kb in bad sectors on (new) Toshiba MK4019GAX 40gb HDD

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 23, 2004 12:19:47 AM

Hello,

The past week has been very frustrating. I had been experiencing
problems with what looked like a Sasser infection, and eventually
decided to re-format the Toshiba drive I purchased around 3 months
ago. Hated to do it, but enough was enough.

While things have improved, chkdsk now shows "4kb in bad sectors" (see
bottom for .log). And there is this strange noise that occurs,
particularly boot up (Win XP Pro), which, if you'll allow me to render
in visual form with the help of Extended ASCII, sounds like:

Chi-Chi-Chi-
CHIT CHIT
Chi-Chi-Chi-

[pause of a second or so, then repeats...}

Chi-Chi-Chi-
CHIT CHIT
Chi-Chi-Chi-

This sound always occurs in the same "batch pattern" above, and
sometimes repeats a second time. I'm pretty annoyed as the drive is
barely 3 months, and I've lost all my data thanks to the reformatting.
I've run chkdsk /f and /r, and I've also run the scan disk function in
norton system works to no avail. Is it fair to say that the computer
has failed to move the 4 kb from the bad sectors? Is there anything
else I can do to repair? Should I replace the drive even if I can't
get my money back on the one I have now? Finally, is it possible one
of the variants of Sasser or Blaster caused the drive damage?

As I bought the drive out of state from an eBay retailer, I've been
trying to swap the drive for a replacement at an authorized Toshiba
repair centure, but they're not being very cooperative.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,
Willem

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused security descriptors.

39070048 KB total disk space.
1856560 KB in 10810 files.
2684 KB in 685 indexes.
4 KB in bad sectors.
78964 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
37131836 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9767512 total allocation units on disk.
9282959 allocation units available on disk.
June 24, 2004 3:51:26 AM

Contact supplier/maufacturer; preferably supplied - it's not up to the
specifcation/requirements it was bought for.

Be a dickhead on the phone, they'll get the message and get another one to
you, in whatever form you bought it int he first place, i.e: delivered, in
person, etc.

"willem" <myfiles3000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> The past week has been very frustrating. I had been experiencing
> problems with what looked like a Sasser infection, and eventually
> decided to re-format the Toshiba drive I purchased around 3 months
> ago. Hated to do it, but enough was enough.
>
> While things have improved, chkdsk now shows "4kb in bad sectors" (see
> bottom for .log). And there is this strange noise that occurs,
> particularly boot up (Win XP Pro), which, if you'll allow me to render
> in visual form with the help of Extended ASCII, sounds like:
>
> Chi-Chi-Chi-
> CHIT CHIT
> Chi-Chi-Chi-
>
> [pause of a second or so, then repeats...}
>
> Chi-Chi-Chi-
> CHIT CHIT
> Chi-Chi-Chi-
>
> This sound always occurs in the same "batch pattern" above, and
> sometimes repeats a second time. I'm pretty annoyed as the drive is
> barely 3 months, and I've lost all my data thanks to the reformatting.
> I've run chkdsk /f and /r, and I've also run the scan disk function in
> norton system works to no avail. Is it fair to say that the computer
> has failed to move the 4 kb from the bad sectors? Is there anything
> else I can do to repair? Should I replace the drive even if I can't
> get my money back on the one I have now? Finally, is it possible one
> of the variants of Sasser or Blaster caused the drive damage?
> Any suggestions?
..
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 24, 2004 6:24:07 AM

for 4K? Forget it.
Now if you choose, and I would, swap the drive before the warranty expires.

> > This sound always occurs in the same "batch pattern" above, and
> > sometimes repeats a second time. I'm pretty annoyed as the drive is
> > barely 3 months, and I've lost all my data thanks to the reformatting.
> > I've run chkdsk /f and /r, and I've also run the scan disk function in
> > norton system works to no avail. Is it fair to say that the computer
> > has failed to move the 4 kb from the bad sectors? Is there anything
> > else I can do to repair? Should I replace the drive even if I can't
> > get my money back on the one I have now? Finally, is it possible one
> > of the variants of Sasser or Blaster caused the drive damage?
> > Any suggestions?
> .

a b D Laptop
June 24, 2004 6:56:33 PM

On 22 Jun 2004 20:19:47 -0700, myfiles3000@hotmail.com (willem) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>The past week has been very frustrating. I had been experiencing
>problems with what looked like a Sasser infection, and eventually
>decided to re-format the Toshiba drive I purchased around 3 months
>ago. Hated to do it, but enough was enough.
>
>While things have improved, chkdsk now shows "4kb in bad sectors" (see
>bottom for .log). And there is this strange noise that occurs,
>particularly boot up (Win XP Pro), which, if you'll allow me to render
>in visual form with the help of Extended ASCII, sounds like:
>
>Chi-Chi-Chi-
>CHIT CHIT
>Chi-Chi-Chi-
>
>[pause of a second or so, then repeats...}
>
>Chi-Chi-Chi-
>CHIT CHIT
>Chi-Chi-Chi-
>
>This sound always occurs in the same "batch pattern" above, and
>sometimes repeats a second time. I'm pretty annoyed as the drive is
>barely 3 months, and I've lost all my data thanks to the reformatting.
>I've run chkdsk /f and /r, and I've also run the scan disk function in
>norton system works to no avail. Is it fair to say that the computer
>has failed to move the 4 kb from the bad sectors? Is there anything
>else I can do to repair? Should I replace the drive even if I can't
>get my money back on the one I have now? Finally, is it possible one
>of the variants of Sasser or Blaster caused the drive damage?

Not likely software causing the problem. I'd return the drive. If
you are seeing bad sectors, the drive is out of spares, that tells me
the drive isn't healthy.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2004 6:15:23 AM

Note that what he probably has is ONE SINGLE bad sector, but because DOS
and Windows both deal in "clusters", the entire cluster containing that
sector has to be marked bad -- not just the single bad sector.

Still, this is odd in an IDE drive. Normally, IDE drives handle bad
sectors internally (within the drive), and the operating system never
sees any bad sectors at all until there are an overwhelming number of
them. When a bad sector is found, it is marked bad (internally) by the
drive, which then semi-permanently substitues a "spare" sector (of which
thousands exist) for the bad sector. The operating system, DOS,
Windows, whatever, never knows that any of this has happened, and
doesn't report any errors at all. The only time you find out that
something is wrong is when you get a "S.M.A.R.T." message or when the
drive runs out of "spare" sectors (or when you try to read a sector that
the drive had thought was good)..

!