Profiles

I'd like to create a profile "template" more or less for a group of users
I'll be adding. I'd also like it to be a roaming profile so that they have
the same settings, favorites, etc. whereever they logon.

I've never really used by Windows 2000 server for anything other than
webhosting and e-mail, so I'm not sure how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about profiles

    Glenn wrote:
    > I'd like to create a profile "template" more or less for a group of
    > users I'll be adding. I'd also like it to be a roaming profile so
    > that they have the same settings, favorites, etc. whereever they
    > logon.
    >
    > I've never really used by Windows 2000 server for anything other than
    > webhosting and e-mail, so I'm not sure how to do this.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Some stuff you should know when managing a multi-user environment:

    How To Create a Custom Default User Profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279783

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308419

    Doug's Windows XP Security Console

    Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
    fundamentals don't change.

    Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
    information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
    Windows.

    One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
    bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

    Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
    to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
    users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

    You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
    original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
    should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

    You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
    "LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
    normally unused by the standard user.

    Roaming would imply you have someway of creating the roaming profiles?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    I thought that a "Roaming Profile" meant that a user could go from machine
    to machine and still have the same settings.

    Do I need something special to do that? Or, do I have the wrong definition
    of a Roaming Profile?

    Glenn wrote:
    > I thought that a "Roaming Profile" meant that a user could go from
    > machine to machine and still have the same settings.
    >
    > Do I need something special to do that? Or, do I have the wrong
    > definition of a Roaming Profile?

    No... You are right. But you should have a server/domain hosting those
    profiles.

    I just didn't want you thinking that you could setup a Romaoing Profile
    without the proper setup in the first place. =) If this sounds familar:

    Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> User Manager for Domains
    1.. Double click on the user
    2.. Click the Profiles button
    3.. In the User Profile Path enter the network share location where the
    profile should go
    4.. Click OK
    Then you are probably good to go. You can also put your default user
    profile in your sysvol/netlogon share for the domain.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    I've tried doing that, and it just doesn't seem to work. I get a different
    screen on each computer on log on to, along with different settings.

    > Glenn wrote:
    > > I thought that a "Roaming Profile" meant that a user could go from
    > > machine to machine and still have the same settings.
    > >
    > > Do I need something special to do that? Or, do I have the wrong
    > > definition of a Roaming Profile?
    >
    > No... You are right. But you should have a server/domain hosting those
    > profiles.
    >
    > I just didn't want you thinking that you could setup a Romaoing Profile
    > without the proper setup in the first place. =) If this sounds familar:
    >
    > Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> User Manager for Domains
    > 1.. Double click on the user
    > 2.. Click the Profiles button
    > 3.. In the User Profile Path enter the network share location where the
    > profile should go
    > 4.. Click OK
    > Then you are probably good to go. You can also put your default user
    > profile in your sysvol/netlogon share for the domain.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

Configuration Windows XP