Motherboard Comparison: ASUS P6X58D-E vs GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I am looking to buy a new motherboard for an i7 build. I'd like some advice as to what to choose, and possibly also some advice on how to use it, tips & tricks, that kind of thing.

These are the requirements that I need:

- socket 1366, for i7 (of course),
- At least 2-way SLI & Xfire capability, wherein both pci-e 2.0 slots operate at x16 while both are in use.

These additional requirements are things that I consider a plus, but lacking them won't necessarily disqualify a board:

- Sata 3.0 6Gb/s capable and able to raid
- USB 3.0 ports
- A spacing of 2 between the PCI-E slots - this would provide better airflow between the dual video cards I am considering, but it seems to be a rare feature among mobos.
- A 3rd PCI-E where I can stick a 3rd card. This 3rd card will be for additional monitors and not gaming, so it need not operate at 16x or be SLI/Xfire capable

These requirements are essential, but I've found that all i7 mobos have them by default:

- tripple channel ram, 6 slots, 24Gb capacity, up to 2000Mhz supported
- Full RAID 0/1/5... capability
- onboard audio, can support a 5.1 system
- 3 yr warranty

I have found these two boards:
i) ASUS P6X58D-E
ii) GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

These seem to be the best (most popular/best value) boards from both companies - that satisfy almost all of my requirements.

They can be found here:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

So, what I'd like to know is:

What is the difference between them? Is there an advantage (other than price) for choosing one over the other?

Is there any other board of a similar price that can rival these two?

T.I.A.

Solution
^I disagree.

The best option for u is the ASUS since meets all ur requirements without problems.

1- Support RAID in SATA II and SATA III
2- Support 2000MHz with OC, but this is just a wasted of money since many of the 2000MHz RAM is CL9 that is the same that have 1600 CL7.
3- Crossfire @x16 in dual mode or x16/x8/x8 in 3 way.
4- Support SATA III and USB 3.0 EVEN in Crossfire and this is the problem of the UD3R that don't support USB 3.0 when u use Crossfire.

For only $30 more the ASUS is by far the better mobo that u can get for the money.
G

Of course GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s device Support for SATA RAID 0, and RAID 1

^I disagree.

The best option for u is the ASUS since meets all ur requirements without problems.

1- Support RAID in SATA II and SATA III
2- Support 2000MHz with OC, but this is just a wasted of money since many of the 2000MHz RAM is CL9 that is the same that have 1600 CL7.
3- Crossfire @x16 in dual mode or x16/x8/x8 in 3 way.
4- Support SATA III and USB 3.0 EVEN in Crossfire and this is the problem of the UD3R that don't support USB 3.0 when u use Crossfire.

For only $30 more the ASUS is by far the better mobo that u can get for the money.

Solution

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

You guys took too long to respond, I bought the ASUS board long ago. Thanks anyway.