High Temperatures

tehtimster

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Right so i use a q6600 processor and its slightly overclocked to 2.8Ghz but I get temperature readings in excess of 81 degrees while running prime 95. I have no idea why as airflow is excellent in the new case and i have cleaned all dust ect from the cpu/mb. Could anyone offer me any possible reasons or suggestions of what i am doing wrong. Thanks

tehtimster

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
hi, I have had it overclocked for only a month max. It is a little strange when i read about people overclocking to 3Ghz and temperatures of 65 degrees max because my processor seems to go over that at stock speeds

tehtimster

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

it never fails under normal use like games but it just runs very hot

tehtimster

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

i believe it is the original cooler but i cannot be certain as i bought it used

Most Q6600s should be able to overclock to 3.0 almost for free. It could be that your voltage is simply too high but first I'd consider reseating the heatsink and applying new thermal paste.

Clean the entire heatsink and fan assembly with hot soapy water and carefully lubricate the fan rotor with WD-40. Use electronic contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol to remove the thermal paste before applying new stuff

tehtimster

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

thanks for the reply and when i get time i will give it a good clean but could you tell me what the cpu voltage should be generally?

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Cpu voltage is going to vary on your CPU and MB. Also, since it's an older model the vcore may require more voltage to keep things stable. It's all trial and error TBH.

Set your vcore/vcc to manual, and start working down from where it is now. You can find out what your current voltage is by checking in CPU-Z while putting the CPU under a decent load.

Lower it down in incriments and run tests (prime95, IBT, Etc), after you find that voltage to be stable, lower it again, and again, and again, untill you find it to be unstable. After that, raise it up one notch and do some more testing. Once you find your stable voltage check your temps again. I had a similar problem, when allowing my BIOS to control my voltage it would use ridiulous amounts of voltage. I could achieve 4.0 Ghz @ 1.12v when set manually, but when allowing BIOS to take care of it automatically it would use 3.7Ghz @ 1.22v resulting in 15 degree higher temperatures.