Power supply for GeForce 9800 GT, needs molex, I only have SATA

I got a Ge Force 9800 GT , it needs 6 pin power supply. It came with a 6 pin to two Molex connectors... my power supply only have SATA connections.
Is this possible?
4 answers Last reply
More about power supply geforce 9800 molex sata
  1. What power supply do you have that only has SATA connectors? I have never seen one that did not have molex connectors.

You could use adapters like this, but generally if you dont have a PCI-E connector and the card requires one, you likely dont have enough power for it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816038
  2. I have the Compaq DX7500 SFF, being small form factor it likes to not fit things.
    It comes stock with the "Lite On PS-5251-4". It's 250W. I tried to google it but it just wants to show me the PS-5251-7.
    More over it has a very limited amount of SATA connectors >.> one for the HDD, one for the DVD. It even has an extra bay for a second HDD- I don't know what's up with that if I can't give it power.
    Damn this un-upgradable HP PCs.
  3. So here's a hack question: Would there be any issues with just getting an old power supply, sitting it next to my computer, plugging it into the wall, then using the molex off that?
    I can't think of any problems... would be pretty interesting XD
  4. hunter315 said:
    What power supply do you have that only has SATA connectors? I have never seen one that did not have molex connectors.

You could use adapters like this, but generally if you dont have a PCI-E connector and the card requires one, you likely dont have enough power for it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816038

I have the Compaq DX7500 SFF, being small form factor it likes to not fit things.
    It comes stock with the "Lite On PS-5251-4". It's 250W. I tried to google it but it just wants to show me the PS-5251-7.
    More over it has a very limited amount of SATA connectors >.> one for the HDD, one for the DVD. It even has an extra bay for a second HDD- I don't know what's up with that if I can't give it power.
    Damn this un-upgradable HP PCs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SATA Power Supplies Geforce Graphics Product