Sign in with
Your question

Power supply for GeForce 9800 GT, needs molex, I only have SATA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2009 2:04:48 AM

I got a Ge Force 9800 GT , it needs 6 pin power supply. It came with a 6 pin to two Molex connectors... my power supply only have SATA connections.
Is this possible?
a c 194 U Graphics card
a c 272 ) Power supply
November 26, 2009 2:09:57 AM

What power supply do you have that only has SATA connectors? I have never seen one that did not have molex connectors.

You could use adapters like this, but generally if you dont have a PCI-E connector and the card requires one, you likely dont have enough power for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 26, 2009 2:14:51 AM

I have the Compaq DX7500 SFF, being small form factor it likes to not fit things.
It comes stock with the "Lite On PS-5251-4". It's 250W. I tried to google it but it just wants to show me the PS-5251-7.
More over it has a very limited amount of SATA connectors >.> one for the HDD, one for the DVD. It even has an extra bay for a second HDD- I don't know what's up with that if I can't give it power.
Damn this un-upgradable HP PCs.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2009 2:29:41 AM

So here's a hack question: Would there be any issues with just getting an old power supply, sitting it next to my computer, plugging it into the wall, then using the molex off that?
I can't think of any problems... would be pretty interesting XD
m
l
November 26, 2009 2:39:48 AM

hunter315 said:
What power supply do you have that only has SATA connectors? I have never seen one that did not have molex connectors.

You could use adapters like this, but generally if you dont have a PCI-E connector and the card requires one, you likely dont have enough power for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have the Compaq DX7500 SFF, being small form factor it likes to not fit things.
It comes stock with the "Lite On PS-5251-4". It's 250W. I tried to google it but it just wants to show me the PS-5251-7.
More over it has a very limited amount of SATA connectors >.> one for the HDD, one for the DVD. It even has an extra bay for a second HDD- I don't know what's up with that if I can't give it power.
Damn this un-upgradable HP PCs.
m
l
!