Sign in with
Your question

Graphical glitches in games

Last response: in Systems
November 21, 2009 8:45:31 PM

Hi,
I just recently installed a graphic card in my basement PC to play games. I am experiencing graphical glitches when playing games. For example, the following are screenshots from Left 4 Dead 2:

Here are my system specs:
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64 2800+
1024 MB DDR PC3200 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
SiS 755 Motherboard (per cupZ)

I've tried:
  • Reseting BIOS to default setting
  • Update motherboard BIOS
  • Update to latest graphic driver
  • Reinstall Windows
  • Getting another brand new GeForce 7600 GS
  • Dusting the inside of computer case

None of those seems to work.

Can anyone help me?
    a b B Homebuilt system
    a c 235 V Motherboard
    November 21, 2009 9:10:10 PM

I would say it is one of two things...

1) Heat (Your card could be overheating causing the glitches)
    2) Internet Bandwidth (It looks like you are playing online and if you have issues with your badnwidth (pin) you can get glitches.)
    m
    l
    November 21, 2009 9:18:53 PM

tecmo34 said:
    I would say it is one of two things...

1) Heat (Your card could be overheating causing the glitches)
    2) Internet Bandwidth (It looks like you are playing online and if you have issues with your badnwidth (pin) you can get glitches.)
    Thanks for the reply.

I've tried 2 (one from ASUS one from XFX) 7600 GS and both give me the same problem. The problem shows up whenever the game is played, but I think the amount of glitches on screen might have increased the longer I played but I'm not sure. Also, this problem only occurs in 3D games, I have no trouble using the card to watch 720p videos. Is it still likely to be a heat issue? Would dusting the innards of the case help? (It's a bit dusty in there)

I'm sure it's not a bandwidth issue, my ping is below 150. I've also played L4D2 on other computers in the house without any connection problem.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a b V Motherboard
    November 21, 2009 10:25:57 PM

Cleaning out the dust will always help. Blow the dust off the fans and vents real good. Even if it doesn't solve your problem it sounds like it needs done anyway. And it will impact temperatures.
    m
    l
    November 21, 2009 11:42:25 PM

ekoostik said:
    Cleaning out the dust will always help. Blow the dust off the fans and vents real good. Even if it doesn't solve your problem it sounds like it needs done anyway. And it will impact temperatures.

I just dusted the computer, and the problem is still there.

I used the nVidia monitoring utility, and it tells me that GPU temperature is about 56 C when playing games. So I don't think this is a heat issue.
    m
    l
    !