Sign in with
Your question

Wont cold boot

Last response: in Motherboards
May 27, 2010 8:21:28 PM

Hello,
Just built my latest system and installed Windows 7 home premium. All seemed good so I installed a various items software and used the machine very happily. Switched off the machine over night and in the morning it wont boot. Windows then goes through the repair process and starts fine. Now every time I do a cold boot I have to go through this process. Last couple of days I have been experimenting and have not clicked yes to allowed windows to go through the repair process, then after a few minutes of running I shut down and it boots fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

My system is
i5 750
GA-P55A-UD4
2x 8800gt
xfi titanium

More about : wont cold boot

a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 7:37:05 AM

Hard drive? power supply? memory? not listed. Did you run through the checklist provided on tom's hardware yet?
Essentially remove unneccessary components (xfi, 1 8800gt, more than 2 gigs ram.
Frequently this error reminds me of improper Ram Voltage and sometimes incorrect settings on sata controller.
Capacitors tend to discharge overnight, after the systems been on they hold a charge short term, which leans toward a voltage issue. Reducing to one video card may answer that.
May 28, 2010 1:32:03 PM

Power supply is an enermax 500w liberty
Ram is 4gb Corsair ddr3 pc3
HDD is WD5000AADS - WD 500GB CAVIAR GREEN 3.5 INCH 32MB SATA-II
Related resources
a c 108 V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 10:41:16 PM

The checklist roonj refers to is in my signature. If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to go through EVERYTHING POSSIBLE in the check list. For best adivce, copy the checklist into a word processor for easier printing.

When replying, use the checklist with your results so we can see what you saw.

Also testing your RAM may help. http://memtest.org/#downiso" target="_blank">Click here[\url] to go to the MemTest86+ download site. Download and burn a Precompiled Bootable ISO (.zip) and burn it to cd (you must use a mounting software, such as magic ISO to burn the disc image).

Next, pop the cd you just burned back in and then restart your computer. Get into your BIOS and change your boot order to read from CD/DVD first. Hit F10 to save and exit the BIOS. Once the computer reboots, MemTest86+ will automatically begin testing. Come back with these results, too.
May 29, 2010 4:30:14 AM

suprden said:
Hello,
Just built my latest system and installed Windows 7 home premium. All seemed good so I installed a various items software and used the machine very happily. Switched off the machine over night and in the morning it wont boot. Windows then goes through the repair process and starts fine. Now every time I do a cold boot I have to go through this process. Last couple of days I have been experimenting and have not clicked yes to allowed windows to go through the repair process, then after a few minutes of running I shut down and it boots fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

My system is
i5 750
GA-P55A-UD4
2x 8800gt
xfi titanium

This is a classic scenario when CMOS battery is dying. Put a new battery and I'll guaranty you after you install everything it should be ok.

oldfart :) 
June 1, 2010 10:05:58 PM

Ok... I removed one Graphics card, the xfi card, one stick of ram, my second drive and all unnecessary devices. Then I left over night, to replicate past startup problems. Next morning it started perfect first time.
Following this I added the second graphics card and restarted some hours later, once again no problems. Next the Xfi went back in and no problems at all. After this I re-positioned the second stick of ram and the problem returned.
Obviously the memory or it settings are at fault so I reversed the slot positions and tested each one individually and in dual channel. Both work fine when only one stick is in position no combination seems to work in dual channel.

Any suggestions?

a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2010 10:02:45 PM

Start over, what are the manufacturers required voltage for the chips, the timings, clock etc. You can look on the package or you could use cpu-z to look at chips and it will tell you this information. You should see something like 800mhz 5-5-5-18 1.6v, do this for each chip. Write it down, reboot look in bios to see if system used those settings if not set it yourself. Then begin the process of testing.
You may well have a bad chip or just improper settings,
June 2, 2010 11:32:28 PM

The ram is Corsair VS2GB1333D3 and the recommended voltage that I have seen is 1.5v which is what the bios is telling me is being used. the timings are 667mhz 9-9-9-24 Ive swapped them both over and they both work fine with only one chip in place but when both are in place it wont boot. Will do a memory check tomorrow and tell you what I find.

Thanks
June 5, 2010 10:11:11 AM

Ok done the memory test. No errors
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2010 4:11:07 PM

Well with the part number I was able to find out a few things. Multiple users with almost every board out there have reported problems with that chip. I saw a screen (cpu-z) which identified the built in settings (4) and they all used 1.5v.
The Corsair ram guy (from corsair forums to end users) has told people to change just about everything, raise voltage to chip, raise voltage in memory controller. In fact the chips aren't even locatable on their own website. Corsair ram guy told someone they were just too new, that was in December. Best thing I saw him tell someone was RMA them, they sell them at walmart? From what I've read I'm betting it's not you or the board. replace them, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to use your computer.
June 5, 2010 7:10:56 PM

Thanks for that, I found the same info when I did searches, ive been working with several forums and no one seems to have any solution. I Just cant get my head around it though as it seems to be a combination of the ram and possibly windows itself as I can get the system running but what I have to do is run a windows start up repair but on the first repair prompt box I simply shut down the system and it then starts fine. Plus the fact that it starts fine with one 2gb memory stick. As soon as I try 2(4gb) there are problems. I just cant find if there is something in the windows settings that might be playing up.
!