Sign in with
Your question

What is the Highest Temp. for GPUs?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 23, 2012 8:13:23 AM

I have heard that GPUs will be unstable if the the temperatures are high. So what is the Maximum temp. anyone would recommend when overclocking GPUs? Also, can I buy special cooling systems for a GPU, just like a I can for a CPU?

More about : highest temp gpus

a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 23, 2012 8:14:22 AM

Depends on which gpu we are looking at. Many, or at least most can handle up to 90-100C and even above. Yes there are custom cooling systems, such as aftermarket heatsinks and full on waterblock for a custom watercooling loop.
m
l
a c 115 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2012 8:27:33 AM

GPUs can take a beating. operating temperatures upwards of 80C are the norm with many handling upwards of 95C-100C
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2012 9:11:19 AM

amuffin said:
Depends on which gpu we are looking at. Many, or at least most can handle up to 90-100C and even above. Yes there are custom cooling systems, such as aftermarket heatsinks and full on waterblock for a custom watercooling loop.

I have heard that GPUs can degrade and even melt at certain temp. do you know what temps these are? or do they vary?
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 23, 2012 3:51:43 PM

Depends on which gpu. Certain gpu's have different architectures, that is why they run cooler/hotter and have different performance. Then again, no gpu or cpu is the same because they are all slightly different. You are asking such a broad question, so there can't be one exact answer.
m
l
April 24, 2012 1:49:58 AM

amuffin said:
Depends on which gpu. Certain gpu's have different architectures, that is why they run cooler/hotter and have different performance. Then again, no gpu or cpu is the same because they are all slightly different. You are asking such a broad question, so there can't be one exact answer.

Interesting. So the best way to go about temp. when overclocking is to check around first before assuming the correct temp for overclocked GPUs. But how affective are the after market coolings for GPUs?
m
l
April 24, 2012 1:56:55 AM

From what I have seen many Nvidia cards are rated at 100C whereas many Radeon cards are not that high (I wish I had more specific numbers) But I hope that gives you atleast a BROAD idea of what is obtainable.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 2:13:56 AM

PC Beginner said:
Interesting. So the best way to go about temp. when overclocking is to check around first before assuming the correct temp for overclocked GPUs. But how affective are the after market coolings for GPUs?

REMEMBER, You are being too broad here! We have to have an EXACT gpu! For an example, the gtx 480 which runs insanely hot 90-115C which are normal temperatures. When added an aftermarket heatsink, the temperatures drop around 50-70C! But also, a gtx 560ti reference edition with an aftermarket cooler may only see 1-5C difference in temperatures!
m
l
!