Sign in with
Your question

Best cpu water cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
April 23, 2012 11:06:18 AM

hello i am looking for the best cpu water cooler i can buy for my phenom 965 i currently have a hyper 212 plus but would like to get a water cooler so the hot are is not put back into the case. i get a 4.0 ghz overclock at the moment. and i am looking at the h80 cooler as the h100 wont fit in my zalman z9 plus. is ther anything better than a h80?

More about : cpu water cooler

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2012 1:28:50 PM

The Hyper 212+ is one of the best air coolers, and "putting the hot air back into the case" can/does happen with the Corsair water cooling units. Just make sure your case is well ventilated and you shouldn't have any issues with the heat.
April 23, 2012 1:40:41 PM

ok my case is well ventialted as i have the zalman z9 case plus it has a honey comb mesh side and i have 7 fans. so il just stick to my hyper 212 then
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2012 1:47:14 PM

The Hyper 212+ doesn't vent the hot air out of the case: so much for boiler's point. The Corsair H80 can be configured to vent the push-pull airflow out of the case, but specs say it should be vented in (just vent it out and you'd be OK). My preference is the Antec H20 920 which is specced to vent the heat out and comes with software and a USB connection to conrol the fans & waterpump. The specs are smlilar to the Corsair H80, but the tubes are more flexible and you get some cool lighting as well. Plus you can reconfigure the fans from a software switch, with the H80 you have to open the case and reset the cooler itself for a different configuration. It is much better if you want to change from normal quiet ops to gaming without opening the case, or buying a $100 add-on from Corsair to control the fans & pumps from a software switch.
A good alternative is the Antec H20 620 which is cheaper and can be fitted with a second fan for push-pull. You don't get quite the cooling with the 620 (the radiator is half a thick), but it rivals the H80 and 920 in cooling.
BTW I run the 920 on my gamer and the 620 on my home server.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2012 1:52:29 PM

Quote:
The Hyper 212+ doenn't vent the hot air out of the case: so much for boiler's point.

No, the Hyper 212+ doesn't directly vent out of the case, but a more efficient airflow setup through the case will get rid of that heat without issue.

If the air isn't being guided well in the case to begin with, throwing another $100 at a cooler (which performs on par with the 212+) won't solve the problem at all.

Quote:
ok my case is well ventialted as i have the zalman z9 case plus it has a honey comb mesh side and i have 7 fans. so il just stick to my hyper 212 then

Why the sudden interest in changing coolers? Are you getting bad temps or something? As long as these fan are arranged properly, your temps should be well within spec.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2012 2:36:07 PM

yeah, all-in-one wc coolers are only useful if you have a specific purpose in mind. Say, if you can't fit a giant air cooler on the cpu due to size constraints. Or if you like the cleanish look they give (kind of open concept).

The NH-D14 performs better than all of them (except the h100 which is very close) and comes with quieter fans. And anything more than $50 to cool your cpu offers rapidly diminishing returns. Your 212+ is an awesome cooler, stick with it.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2012 2:47:30 PM

But the H212+ doesn't perform on a par with the H100. The Hyper 212 + average performance compared to the H100 is 7-10 C hotter than the H100. In fact, the design is 2009 and it ranks well behind the Noctua's and updated Zalman's for air cooling.

If he wants to dump heat into his case and vent it by external fans, then good. But all air coolers have the characteristic of dumping the heat inside the case and heating up the mobo, GPU(s) and other components. Case cooling is crucial to all rigs.

The advantage of liquid cooling is that liquids conduct heat better than air, and the heat can be vented, more efficiently, outside the case.

BTW I think that the Hyper 212 + is a fine cooler, but it is an old design.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2012 3:21:59 PM

I never said the 212 perform on par with coolers that cost $65-75 more. I just said it was an awesome cooler. And it is; it performs very well for $35 (often down to $25).

7-10C for $75 is a joke unless you are ocing for bragging rights since it will get you ~300mhz more. Or if you have a specific need in mind (space, quiet, wtvr).

His case with 7 fans has more than enough ventilation. Two decent fans would be enough (if there isn't too much clutter). You need a pretty shitty case to overheat your mobo from lack of ventilation. More likely you would just raise your gpu temps a few degrees since it's not getting fresh air.

I understand the advantages of wc very well since I wouldn't be running enormous amounts of voltage through my cpu and gpu without it. From a price per performance gain point of view custom loops are not worth it though. As to closed loops versus air, air is simply more effective per dollar and should be used unless you have a reason not to (of which there are plenty).
April 23, 2012 4:54:25 PM

I like my H60 water cooler. It is mounted to the rear fan area of the CM case. I have the CPU overclocked to 4.0 + Ghz, and it is still quiet.
April 23, 2012 9:35:55 PM

boiler1990 said:
Quote:
The Hyper 212+ doenn't vent the hot air out of the case: so much for boiler's point.

No, the Hyper 212+ doesn't directly vent out of the case, but a more efficient airflow setup through the case will get rid of that heat without issue.

If the air isn't being guided well in the case to begin with, throwing another $100 at a cooler (which performs on par with the 212+) won't solve the problem at all.

Quote:

Why the sudden interest in changing coolers? Are you getting bad temps or something? As long as these fan are arranged properly, your temps should be well within spec.

just wanted a nicer cooler that doesnt look like a big block ie. air coolers, and would have been nice to overclock my phenom 965 passed 4.0
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2012 11:29:22 PM

if you're after looks, then by all means grab an h80. It won't do a ton for your clocks but it should help some.

The h80 is the best closed loop cooler currently (excluding the h100 which offers a slight improvement). It also looks the nicest imo.

See: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h2o-h80-h100-benchm...
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 2:56:30 AM

Just go with an xspc rasa kit...
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 3:25:55 AM

+ 1 to muffin man!

if you're shelling $100 on an H100 and its so called watercooling crap performance, then the XSPC rasa 750 kit is the way to go. ask Lowjack, he's a watercooling revert, moving up from an H80/H100 to an XSPC rasa 750 RX240 kit. 10 degree drop on load and 6 degree drop on idle. Later if its suits your taste, move onto a GPU waterblock...something which the closed loops deny you of - an upgrade path.

@ muffin - seems like a wish..in your sig :p  :lol:  really funny!
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 4:52:53 AM

Lutfij said:

@ muffin - seems like a wish..in your sig :p  :lol:  really funny!

Bleeding/filling loop, hm...what happens if I touch the paperclip!
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 9:34:49 AM

or maybe tell someone while they're priming the loop and bzzzt :D  :lol: 
April 24, 2012 6:27:50 PM

they do look nice amuffin but i would be scared that it would leak and ruin all my pc
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 7:49:05 PM

dya have any sites you want to purchase from? or is any uk site fine with you?
April 24, 2012 7:56:04 PM

any uk site is fine :)  i normaly go with scan.co.uk as well
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 8:04:22 PM
April 24, 2012 8:11:39 PM

i dont think i can have a triple rad on my zalman z9 plus tho as it only has room for 2 120/140 fan on the top of the case
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 8:15:56 PM

i listed parts according to this post
Quote:
does anyone know if i can get the bigger 3 fan rad?

with modding anything and everything can go on/in a case

but anyways:
http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Swiftech-H... is still good and the pump is strong enough to add more rads and waterblocks, should you decide to watercool the GPU's down the road.

and

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/XSPC-Rasa-...

but if it were upto these two kits, i'd clearly go with the swiftech as i mentioned above.
April 24, 2012 8:18:46 PM

would the swift tech be on par with the XSPC Rasa 750 RX360? is it worth moding my case for it to fit?
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 8:27:15 PM

erm the rad review show otherwise, what i'm looking at future upgradability as the weakest link in the XSPC rasa kit is the X2O pump in them kits. The new kits by XSPC, dubbed the "XSPC Raystorm VPP kit" is a lil more pricey but is very reliable in terms of flow rate, head pressure and being capable of accepting new rad space and more blocks (for GPU's) + you can customize the tubing and look of it.

can't find one in UK
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15140/ex-wat-203/XSPC...
April 24, 2012 8:36:43 PM

ok i want to get the XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 triple rad but dont know how i could mod my case any help?
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 8:38:41 PM

you can make a rad box substitute by getting nylon washers, standoff screws and have them attached to the case/rad or get a rad box altogether.
April 24, 2012 8:54:02 PM

going to attache the standoff screwa on the side of my case will look nice and have better airflow than being in the case thanks very much for all your help man :)  best get saveing for my XSPC Rasa 750 RX360
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 9:24:30 PM

...and in the process may i recommend reading the watercooling sticky? located in my sig, you'll get a better understanding of what you're working with. I've given you an idea of what a kit will hold and whats in it for you. Filling, priming, bleeding - will catch on you in a while.

Your welcome mate - but muffin helped spark the idea before i thought of it :) 
April 24, 2012 10:00:14 PM

thanks did'nt know half of that stuff, just thought it was as simple as wacking it in guess i was wrong. cant wait to buy my first kit and get into watercooling. im trying to look for some sort of bracket so i can but the raditor on my side panel. also one last qustion will my sidee panel hold the weight of the rad as all the water will make it heavy?
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 10:06:56 PM

what will you do when you'll need to open the case for maintenance or troubleshooting hardware? then there's by necessity of having more tubing run loose so you don't kink it.

might wan to consider hanging the rad off the back or with slight modding, on the top of the case outside.
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2012 11:36:39 PM

my vote goes for sticking the rad on the top of the case, that's what i did. The kit i bought came with some metal bracket thingees (no idea what they are intended for) that I simply screwed onto the top of my case to act as spacers. Works great and looks pretty good. The hoses go through a drive bay.

Glad you're doing real wc, i kind of assumed it was way out of your budget.
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 12:10:01 AM

those external rad mounting hardware come with the rasa kit, and oddly enough is excluded from the Raystorm kits... on frozencpu :??:  but i have yet to see if UK stores are offering the same kit as Daz, Frozen + one other (i can't name) have set up.

Quote:
i kind of assumed it was way out of your budget.
usually people miss the part where the closed loops cost as much as a starter WC kit that is good for adding a GPU block, whereas the LCS' are just more expensive, limited in performance and heat dissipation. And if you can find the thread on the watercooling section, you'll know that the pump will eventually fail cos of running at that temp and heat load - in 2~3 years.
April 25, 2012 12:13:48 PM

Lutfij said:
what will you do when you'll need to open the case for maintenance or troubleshooting hardware? then there's by necessity of having more tubing run loose so you don't kink it.

might wan to consider hanging the rad off the back or with slight modding, on the top of the case outside.

hmmm true maybe il just put it on my desk to make thing easier in the future
April 25, 2012 12:15:44 PM

slicedtoad said:
my vote goes for sticking the rad on the top of the case, that's what i did. The kit i bought came with some metal bracket thingees (no idea what they are intended for) that I simply screwed onto the top of my case to act as spacers. Works great and looks pretty good. The hoses go through a drive bay.

Glad you're doing real wc, i kind of assumed it was way out of your budget.

i want to mount it on top of my case but the top is a weird mesh thing and i dont think i could mount it easy
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 12:17:02 PM

mod it.
April 25, 2012 2:02:18 PM

Lutfij said:
mod it.

i want to but dont know how. the closest i got to moding was a borderlands game lol
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 2:41:00 PM

Which case?
April 25, 2012 3:28:51 PM

ZALMAN Z9 PLUS
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 4:21:50 PM

care to join in on the modding muffin, boiler, modo?!?
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 6:16:58 AM

i am no modding expert :)  Closest I am going to get to modding is lapping my heatsink....Though I don't see why he can't just go with the raystorm rx240 kit..
April 26, 2012 9:54:12 AM

i dont want to get a dual rad when the tripple rad is like £20 more. also if i get the triple rad i can watercool my gpu too
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 3:36:54 PM

Doesn't he want a D5 pump?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 3:46:01 PM

I have 2 listed above with a D5, one with DDC.

I'd like to offer a friendly challenge to anyone in the thread as to why choose one pump over the other in regards to what's been discussed thus far. :) 
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 3:50:55 PM

rubix in the mix! :D  [:lutfij:3]
April 26, 2012 6:39:33 PM

i wish i could get a raystorm but im in england so cant do american sites :( 
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 6:52:13 PM

well, they do ship to your location :) , i know one member here who lives in NZ, got it in 2 weeks :p 
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 8:16:40 PM

Where's Moto? He's in the UK, I believe?
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 8:20:23 PM

yeah he is, but he shops everything from ebay, and...
Quote:
Me personally?
I use several sites in the UK,
scan.co.uk
thewatercoolingshop.co.uk
dabs.co.uk
specialtech.co.uk
xspc.co.uk

modo's answering to his radbox's urges :lol:  but i suppose he's 1% from completion on his build :)  great speed... :ouch: 
!