HOW TO LABEL RACKS AND SHELVES CORRECLTY

abdelmalik

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
HI, I AM CURRENTLY INVOLVED IN WAREHOUSING AND THE PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY IN THE WAREHOUSE WHERE WORK TELL ME THAT NUMBERING OF THE SHELVES SHOULD STARTS FROM UP TO DOWN. I TOLD THEM THAT IT IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND BUT THEY DONT BUY MY ARGUMENT. WHAT IS THE RIGHT AND CORRECT WAY TO IDENTIFY YOUR RACKS AND SHELVES?

abdelmalik

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

thanks for the help... the problem here is I was instructed by our superior to correct whatever things I find not in the correct way. I try to point out to my old peers that numbering the shelves should start from down to up to give you a room for addtional shelve but if you start from up to down then you are closing the possibility of adding more shelves because you have to do the numbering again, change the locations of all items located on the affected shelves etc....

Your logic seems sound to me, assuming that adding shelves is something that has to be done from time to time. But it might not be worth actually relabeling everything once it's all set up unless you were actually having to make a change that would force some relabeling anyway.

I'm not the one you have to convince, though - it's your boss that you need to work on.