Phenom 965 overclock

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
for games, maybe but not so much for anything else... a 1GHz OC is a different but a .2GHz OC is kind of weak so not so much but little... doesn't look noticeable just to let you know...

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Yeah, that's true... just a .2GHz is frustrating trying to get a .8vCore increase and takes days just to find stable....

Plus it shortens the life of your Chip. my 980 is gonna be a 4.0 ghz soon and it will only be there until i buy a new Motherboard and CPU next year, (unless pile driver is better than promised).

I am worrying more about my graphics cards

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
hmm i might downclock my 7850 then as it is at 1200 core clock stable what do you think i do get a max of 80fps on highest settings on battle field bad company 2. will my gpu life decrease or should it be okay as temps never go to high

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

No reason to downclock your card as long as the temps are good. (especially watch your vram temps because they can only take so much heat compared to the rest of the card, which you can view through GPU-Z)

Imo get the highest oc you can for stock voltage, and highest oc you can with an upped voltage within safe limits for your gpu.

The 965BE would appreciate the extra .2ghz but you might as well just sit it at 4.0ghz and move onto IB where you won't need to OC it later :) and with the Ivy Bridge you could run 2x 7850s in PCI 3.0 :eek:

200 MHz will not be noticeable. 4 Deneb cores at 4GHz with an HD7850 will be formidable for quite some time.

What will drive your frames higher is increasing your IMC/NB to 2400MHz+ even if you have to drop back on the CPU clock speed.

How Dee, Mal. Good question!

A guy last week was 3.8GHz at 1.35v. That's nice.

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

i would love to go intel and get ivy bridge but i have just bought my sabertooth 990fx and my 965 and would not get alot for them :(

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
just work with what ya got since you already got it....
a 965BE @ 3.8GHz EASY will be able to game same as Intel, just a few frames less..
(OK more than a few but still you get the point..)

invest deeply in the GPU and SSD and = GAME ON..

yeah i plan on geting a 120gb ssd and a 60gb corsair accelerator to cache my hdd as a secondry drive to store steam games and other things on. but dont know if the accelator is any good.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
'akamrcrack' just got one, of course 'mal' helped with the tweaking....
holla 'crack'..

:3

@ OP I would suggest against the Corsair, and instead recommend the Crucial Adrenaline.

Was one of the easiest components to install into my computer and the software is install/forget.

The Adrenaline is basically a Crucial M4 64GB turned into a cache drive with software so you have the reliability of the Marvell controller.

Turned my Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm from a slowpoke sata II, to a fully saturated sata II HDD (basically equal performance to my Intel 320 series 120gb)

The only thing that it requires is you keep the OS on the HDD for the Software to properly work and they recommend uninstalling the software before you unplug the SSD cache drive from the motherboard, I found even when resetting cmos It doesn't REALLY require you to uninstall the software, it will ask if you wan't to disable or continue and I always just continue since there aren't any issues :). Probably the longest thing I have done all this month was (install OS onto HDD) then once it was installed I installed the software and watched everything on my HDD start running as fast as my sata II ssd.

You can get close to equal performance from a Velociraptor 1TB for nearly twice the cost.. which is why I think a Crucial Adrenaline + HDD is a much more affordable performance boost.

Here is what my HDD + Adrenaline is running at in comparison to my Intel 320 series and my other Crucial M4 64GB (my m4 64GB previously had my OS on it but I felt I could use that space towards better things since I get excellent load times with the HDD+Adrenaline) better load times than when I had OS on the 320 series.

Adrenaline + HDD (1TB)
f3adrenaline.png

Intel 320 series SSD (120GB)
320series.png

Crucial M4 SSD (64GB)
crucialreads.png

So yes, the regular Crucial M4 is faster than the Crucial Adrenaline + HDD, but that is fine because you are sacrificing 1s better OS load time for 1TB of sata II fully saturated SSD speeds.

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
if i put my os on my 120 gb ssd could i buy a Crucial Adrenaline to go with my secondary hdd or would it cause problems as i have my os on my normal 120gb ssd?

Hydroc10

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Going from 3.8 to 4ghz gave my rig a + %8 in performance on a 955. If you have decent cooling capacity and can keep your voltage below 1.425v you'll see a noticable increase in performance at 4.2ghz

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

You would need the OS to be installed on the HDD for the software to work properly.

Doing it with another SSD won't work.

The software supports up to a single 2TB HDD. (Requires OS on it tho)

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

ok i think il give it a miss then as my os would be faster on a normal 120gb ssd