Sign in with
Your question

Can't Load Intel Video Driver with i7 on XP and 3G Switch

Last response: in Windows XP
May 24, 2012 7:07:42 PM

Here is our problem.

I have an i7 running on XP. (Yes I know this is a 64 bit CPU working on a 32 bit OS. Unfortunately, I don't have an option.)

I use a 3G switch in the boot.ini so my application can use more RAM. I also use the USERVA= option to fine tune the memory used to 2.8 Gb.

Unfortunately, the Intel video driver won't load in this configuration (the video goes 4bit and looks like a Pong game). If I remove the 3G switch the driver loads.

I have tried lowering the USERVA option lower but this does not help. It is almost like the driver has a bug or a bit of code saying this is non-standard configuration and bails out.

I have tried changing the boot order. Disabling other drivers. I can't see any messages in the eventlog identifying the problem. I have tried tweaking the driver through the extreme graphics interface and haven't found anything.

a b \ Driver
May 25, 2012 5:34:48 AM

have you considered running WIndows 8 RC (I believe it comes out next week) or a 64 bit version of Ubuntu or Fedora?
m
l
June 4, 2012 11:07:45 PM

Thanks,

But unfortunately, we have to stick with Windows XP for now. Windows 7 comes in 1 year for us.
m
l
!