OS for SSD and HDD for everything else problems

Hwall95

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Hey everyone, i recently bought a new computer which was built by my older brother but the problem is that i purchased a 120gb SSD with a 2Tb HDD with the build to instal the OS (Windows 7) and maybe a few selected CAD programs or games that need the extra help but instead of that when i have tried to instal programs onto the HDD, most of it will be installed on the SDD and a lil on the HDD which is not good cause its using up my precious space which i have on my SDD. So if anyone has any help for me it would be great and i am prepared to reformat to computer as its only like 5 days old so backing up data is pretty simple and quick. Thanks in advance :)

Solution
you should be able to get everything on a 120gb ssd

i just installed a 120gb ssd and even with all my programs and games i have 70gb free

there are a couple of tips to gain extra space on your ssd

delete the hyberfil.sys file --this doesnt stop you using sleep

and lower your page file to 512mb if you have at least 4gb of ram

and turn off or lower the amount of drive space system restore has been allocated

this saves me over 30gb of space as i have 12gb of ram the page file and hyberfil.sys files are huge

dork_police

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
well install windows clean, drivers and all your programs - this shouldn't be more than 80Gb... I know that Windows 7 with drivers is 18Gb, so you have enough space for programs... doubt u will install 60Gb+ for programs, move your music to your 2TB and you should be golden..

P.S. What games do you want to install on the SSD?

I would firstly install all my programs - only then the games...

Hwall95

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
umm i dont know which ones yet, im thinking i mite quickly reformat the computer nd change the directory drives (which i just found out how to do) so everything is installed straight away onto HDD and then i can just install anything special in advanced instal and hope for the best i guess hahaaha

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
You are losing all the advantage of SSD's fast speed by installing software to HDD. So now they have to be read from the slow harddrive instead of instantly starting up.

If you want to install a particular software to harddrive just make sure you select it's install directory to HDD when you first install the software.

you should be able to get everything on a 120gb ssd

i just installed a 120gb ssd and even with all my programs and games i have 70gb free

there are a couple of tips to gain extra space on your ssd

delete the hyberfil.sys file --this doesnt stop you using sleep

and lower your page file to 512mb if you have at least 4gb of ram

and turn off or lower the amount of drive space system restore has been allocated

this saves me over 30gb of space as i have 12gb of ram the page file and hyberfil.sys files are huge

Solution

Hwall95

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
okay, yeah ive had to reformat due to a error in the registry key by accident but like i said its new so thats not a hassle, so im redirecting everything from the beginning and ill use your advice so im able to make it faster and less space too. Thanks heaps :)