Enough power to run but not enough to OC?

kingfoot

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
So my rig obviously has enough power to run and play games. But I'm looking to squeeze the life out of my CPU and mobo.

Really, I don't care as much about the lifespan of my cpu as I plan to upgrade to a newer chip soon so I'd like to boost my speed a bit and break the 4.0 barrier for once.

The rig itself is:

Case/Cooling;
HAF 922 case w/ 2 200mm fans (one venting top and one intake bottom front)
80mm fan (mounted in the 5.25 bay venting out front top)
Corsair H60 w/2nd fan in Push-Pull (through testing, pulling air from rear through the case to the front)

EDIT: Want to add that I am using Antec Formula 6 Thermal Paste and I JUST applied it last night so I'm not sure what the setting time for it is. I would like that info as I couldn't find it on the internet.

Components;
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T B.E.@3.6 stable up to 3.8 (3.6@1.38 and 3.8@1.48)
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula (stock heatsink/pipe)
GFX: Asus Radeon HD 6950 DCII/2gb (unlocked shaders, OC to 910clock/1350mem stock voltage)
Mem: 16gb 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaw series DDR3 1600@ 9-9-9-24 1.5v (when OC, pushing to 1.54v to stabilize 3.8)
Sound: Creative X-Fi Titanium
CD/DVD Burner, 75-1 card reader
HDD/SDD: (Boot)Crucial M4 64gb SSD, (Storage)2tb WD Black, (large programs/games)500gb Samsung Momentous XT (4gb ssd cache), (tmp/user files)320gb WD Blue

And powering ALL of that is a Corsair 650w PSU (gaming series not green series).

So anyways, I think I have a strange combination of a bad NB (constantly locked at extreme voltage due to bad chip) and a not great build quality of my Thuban given that a .2 increase cost me a full .1 voltage increase to be stable. My PSU has the main 20+4 and the 8 pin to the mobo but the mobo also supports adding a 2nd 4 pin power to provide extra umph. And I'm thinking I won't be able to stabilize windows 7 at 4.0.

Anyways when running at 3.6ghz I have my settings at:

Ratio: x17
Bus: 200
CPU V: 1.38
CPU/NB: 3000
HT: 2200
CPU/NB V: 1.38
HT V: 1.25

LLC is set to regular (0%) and all spread spectrums are OFF.

I can boot into Windows @4.0 IF I max my CPU V at 1.55, NB V to 1.50, and it immediately fails 2 cores in Prime95 but will completely pass OCCT.

Also I don't like the temps at this unstable level. OC to 3.6 I hold Idle@24c load@54c (BF3 max settings) which I'm super happy with. @3.8 I can hold steady Idle@27c load@60c which I'm not quite happy with.

And before you mention it; I tested extensively and the way my computer is setup in my room, I really do see a better cooling with my H60 turned inwards instead of outwards. I get this neat kinda 2 zone directional thing going on with the top half of the case venting the front and the bottom half venting the rear, keeps ALL components at optimal air cooling with very low noise. I mean VERY low noise. Almost none.

SO ANYWAYS I have read extensive OC guides and forums regarding this similar setup and people hitting the same wall as me in the 4.0 barrier. I will be getting an FX series by years end so I don't mind throwing this thing under the bus as long as I don't hurt my mobo. My main concern with my goal is that my PSU is overworked. I would love to provide more information of testing/variations I've tried, and love to discuss and listen to advice from experienced clockers. I know my way around the BIOS well so I should be able to understand the many different ways people talk about dealing with the clocking. :p

Thanks for taking the time to read this :??: and even more in advanced for responding! I tried to be thorough..

Lutfij

Titan
I'm not sure what the setting time for it is. I would like that info as I couldn't find it on the internet.
its known as burn in time, maybe Google that term with the TIM and you'll find it.
http://www.eteknix.com/reviews/cooling/antec-formula-6-nano-diamond-thermal-compound-review/

Also I don't like the temps at this unstable level. OC to 3.6 I hold Idle@24c load@54c (BF3 max settings) which I'm super happy with. @3.8 I can hold steady Idle@27c load@60c which I'm not quite happy with.
this is attributed to the H60. should actually have invested on a Hyper 212 evo or maybe a real watercooling loop. I won't go into detail in the LCS' but that's one place to look for your instability as well.

And before you mention it; I tested extensively and the way my computer is setup in my room, I really do see a better cooling with my H60 turned inwards instead of outwards. I get this neat kinda 2 zone directional thing going on with the top half of the case venting the front and the bottom half venting the rear, keeps ALL components at optimal air cooling with very low noise. I mean VERY low noise. Almost none.
I've mentioned it, but you can post a pic to confirm what i'm going to say later.

Really, I don't care as much about the lifespan of my cpu as I plan to upgrade to a newer chip soon so I'd like to boost my speed a bit and break the 4.0 barrier for once....CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T B.E.@3.6 stable up to 3.8 (3.6@1.38 and 3.8@1.48)
if you know anything about tech in cpu, its the cpu's internal architecture and core that is key. Thas why intel have been dominating in nearly this past decade. If the X6 is stumbling in your gaming needs, its either an improper OC or the tasks have outgrown your CPU's capacity - i'd stick with the former rather latter. Ram shouldn't need more volts than specified on the sticker. And there has been a study conducted by one member stating that there's a point where you can apply as much voltage as you want(ofc this will kill your chip in the long run) and gain as much CPU OC but the processes will be the limiting factor. There are real world benefits to be had, but in gaming scenarios - those gains are yet to be seen sans synthetic benches.

I will be getting an FX series by years end so I don't mind throwing this thing under the bus as long as I don't hurt my mobo.
oh it will take the mobo out if not careful.

My main concern with my goal is that my PSU is overworked.
best to work out your power needs via an online psu calc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :??: and even more in advanced for responding! I tried to be thorough..
your welcome.