Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why get the 870,880,890 over the 790?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 27, 2010 10:25:36 PM

I am trying to build a computer with an AMD 3.2ghz 955 Quad Core chip and will be adding my own video card.

I need a board that is easy to use, supports these items, and is fast, reliable, etc. I am not sure if the board matters for DirectX, but it needs to be able to support v 11.

The graphics chipset wont be an issue, b/c of the video card. Overclocking and advanced features wont matter much to me. (Although I do want to unlock the Black Edition multiplier on the CPU.)

So given this, what boards would be recommended? And what are the differences to a low-end user like me?

Thanks!

More about : 870 880 890 790

May 28, 2010 1:21:52 AM

What GPU will you be adding? If you are going to shun on board graphics then that leaves us with the 770, 790x and fx, 870, and 890fx. From there is up to what south bridge you need.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 7:11:14 AM

The 800 series chipset boards should include USB 3.0 which is TEN times faster than USB 2.0, thats considerable.
Also an 800 series board with the new 850 South Bridge includes Sata3 controller for hard drive vs Sata2 (3gbs vs 6gbs) and improved Achi control.
As new usb devices hit the streets you can bet they'll want usb 3.0
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 8:41:22 AM

roonj said:
The 800 series chipset boards should include USB 3.0 which is TEN times faster than USB 2.0, thats considerable.
Also an 800 series board with the new 850 South Bridge includes Sata3 controller for hard drive vs Sata2 (3gbs vs 6gbs) and improved Achi control.
As new usb devices hit the streets you can bet they'll want usb 3.0

Yes, they FINALLY fixed that AHCI bug. That thing hung around for 5 years.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2010 8:52:35 AM

silverelement said:
I am trying to build a computer with an AMD 3.2ghz 955 Quad Core chip and will be adding my own video card.

I need a board that is easy to use, supports these items, and is fast, reliable, etc. I am not sure if the board matters for DirectX, but it needs to be able to support v 11.

The graphics chipset wont be an issue, b/c of the video card. Overclocking and advanced features wont matter much to me. (Although I do want to unlock the Black Edition multiplier on the CPU.)

So given this, what boards would be recommended? And what are the differences to a low-end user like me?

Thanks!

Here is a nice table for you:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/8-serie...

Just go for the 8XX series as they more commonly support SATA 6GB & USD3.0
890FX is out of the question since you don't need bells & whistles so 890GX is probably the way to go. Nevermind that it has an onboard graphics since its still cheaper than the 890FX anyway.
How much is your budget?
May 28, 2010 9:21:18 PM

Best answer selected by silverelement.
m
l
!