Problems with The Witcher 2

G

Hi there,

i have recently upgraded my pc so that i can be ready for the latest games, like the witcher 2. however the game set my graphics default to high and i turned the uber sampling etc off, and it works ok. but it does jump and skip every so often. i used FRAPs and my highest fps was 25 but it went to as low as 8. ive been reading that the CPU may be causing a bottleneck to the GPU, but i hope not because its all new. my spec is as follows;

Phenom II X4 955 BE
ASUS gts 250 dk (however looking to upgrade to ASUS GTX 560 ti)
4 GB DDR3 RAM.
22inch LED HDMI monitor.

Can anyone suggest how to overcome this problem? whether it be a new GPU or over clocking the CPU?

Thanks Mark

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hi there,

i have recently upgraded my pc so that i can be ready for the latest games, like the witcher 2. however the game set my graphics default to high and i turned the uber sampling etc off, and it works ok. but it does jump and skip every so often. i used FRAPs and my highest fps was 25 but it went to as low as 8. ive been reading that the CPU may be causing a bottleneck to the GPU, but i hope not because its all new. my spec is as follows;

Phenom II X4 955 BE
ASUS gts 250 dk (however looking to upgrade to ASUS GTX 560 ti)
4 GB DDR3 RAM.
22inch LED HDMI monitor.

Can anyone suggest how to overcome this problem? whether it be a new GPU or over clocking the CPU?

Thanks Mark

Your cpu is fine. I would suggest overclocking it a bit to get more performance out of it. Those BE's can overclock very easily and effectively so take advantage of it! Otherwise, I think your gpu is the problem here.

The GTS 250 is a relatively outdated card and considering that Witcher 2 is a VERY demanding game on all high settings (even with ubersampling turned off) I am going to assume its the card you have. Upgrade to a 560 ti as soon as you can and you will be enjoing the fps you get from it. But I think its your GPU that is holding you back there.

G

thanks for the quick reply, i will be buying one next week and hopefully it will remedy the problems! The gts 250 has been a great card but nows the time to update. also thanks for the head up with the CPU i shall only OC if i need to, and as it stands i dont think it needs it for now.