Ugh - the first Sims 2 expanson is "University"...

Last response: in Video Games
November 21, 2004 6:08:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

So many ideas for EPs, most of them better than this. IMHO, anyway.

http://info.ea.com/news/news.php?PHPSESSID=ffdf676466cf...
c3534&search_for=sims+2&function=search&start=1&Submit=Search+Releases

Contact: Alexandra Skillman
Robin Chandler

Electronic Arts
Electronic Arts

650-628-7458
650-628-3610

bgamlen@ea.com
rchandler@ea.com

For Immediate Release

EA ANNOUNCES THE SIMS 2 UNIVERSITY Expansion pack

The Sims take over campus in the first expansion pack for the fastest
selling PC game of all time

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - November 22, 2004-Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:
ERTS) announced today that EA's MaxisT Studio is developing The SimsT
2 University, the first expansion pack for the highly-acclaimed The
Sims 2 PC game. The Sims 2 University will ship this March and gives
players of The Sims 2 the ability to watch their Sims become young
adults and put childhood behind them as they settle into an all-new
college town to live out their ultimate college fantasy.

Sinjin Bain, Executive Producer and Maxis Vice President, highlights
the company's commitment to its loyal following, "We are thrilled to
open up a whole new stage of life for the Sims, allowing players to
lead them through all the challenges of college and living the
exciting university lifestyle of the dorms, parties and exams. This
title is also the first in a line of expansion packs that will address
our players' desires, further develop The Sims 2 franchise and
continually expand the world of the Sims creating almost endless
gameplay and storytelling possibilities."

In The Sims 2 University players for the first time will play through
the new "young adult" life stage as their Sims head off to college and
join the campus crowd. Whether they live in the dorms or rush a
fraternity or sorority that's just the beginning.Sims can choose from
one of 11 majors and by keeping their grades on track, they'll secure
a final degree and open up 4 new career paths. Players will enjoy
all-new college based wants and fears that are tied to their Sims'
social life and academic goals which will lead to new rewards and
powers that will help them achieve their goals and aspirations in
college and beyond.

Pranks, parties and college social interactions add to the excitement
while your Sims explore campus locations such as college lounges, pool
halls, gyms and coffee houses. As in real life, if your Sims start
running low on funds, they can earn Simoleans by picking up a part
time job, like tutoring, or engaging in riskier affairs like printing
money as a member of the "secret society."

Of course, making the right decisions can lead to your Sim to the
ultimate goal of becoming "Big Sim on Campus" in The Sims 2
University.

The Sims 2 University will ship under the EA GAMEST brand. The Sims 2
is required to play The Sims 2 University.

November 21, 2004 7:27:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:08:09 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban"
<jer@connectria.com> wrote:

>So many ideas for EPs, most of them better than this. IMHO, anyway.

Doesn't appeal to me. Reminds me of Superstar, with a load of "fun"
goals that I had no interest in. Unless it wildly expands the
Buy/Build choices or has some other extra dimension, this looks like a
non-starter for me.

BW
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 7:27:08 PM

barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:08:09 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban"
> <jer@connectria.com> wrote:
>
>> So many ideas for EPs, most of them better than this. IMHO, anyway.
>
> Doesn't appeal to me. Reminds me of Superstar, with a load of "fun"
> goals that I had no interest in. Unless it wildly expands the
> Buy/Build choices or has some other extra dimension, this looks like
> non-starter for me.

Well, I'll be getting it, because it does have some new objects like a
guitar and pool table and drums (Snooty Sims has some pictures).

But yeah, it doesn't appeal to me. Admittedly, as a college drop-out,
college is something of a touchy subject for me. But beyond that, it's
just too far removed from the rest of the gameplay - worse than
Superstar, it sounds like you have to drop everything to play that one
college sim until they graduate.
Related resources
November 22, 2004 2:43:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

> REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - November 22, 2004-Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:
> ERTS) announced today that EA's MaxisT Studio is developing The SimsT
> 2 University, the first expansion pack for the highly-acclaimed The
> Sims 2 PC game. The Sims 2 University will ship this March and gives
> players of The Sims 2 the ability to watch their Sims become young
> adults and put childhood behind them as they settle into an all-new
> college town to live out their ultimate college fantasy.

At the speed they grow up that will be a short game ;o)

> Sinjin Bain, Executive Producer and Maxis Vice President, highlights
> the company's commitment to its loyal following, "We are thrilled to
> open up a whole new stage of life for the Sims, allowing players to
> lead them through all the challenges of college and living the
> exciting university lifestyle of the dorms, parties and exams. This
> title is also the first in a line of expansion packs that will address
> our players' desires, further develop The Sims 2 franchise and
> continually expand the world of the Sims creating almost endless
> gameplay and storytelling possibilities."

Neah, I want a different sim2 expansion like african or whatever
living in a jungle cutting wood hunting etc.
Sims iss to city dwelling to my taste. ;o)

> In The Sims 2 University players for the first time will play through
> the new "young adult" life stage as their Sims head off to college and
> join the campus crowd. Whether they live in the dorms or rush a
> fraternity or sorority that's just the beginning.Sims can choose from
> one of 11 majors and by keeping their grades on track, they'll secure
> a final degree and open up 4 new career paths. Players will enjoy
> all-new college based wants and fears that are tied to their Sims'
> social life and academic goals which will lead to new rewards and
> powers that will help them achieve their goals and aspirations in
> college and beyond.
>

> Pranks, parties and college social interactions add to the excitement
> while your Sims explore campus locations such as college lounges, pool
> halls, gyms and coffee houses. As in real life, if your Sims start
> running low on funds, they can earn Simoleans by picking up a part
> time job, like tutoring, or engaging in riskier affairs like printing
> money as a member of the "secret society."
>

> Of course, making the right decisions can lead to your Sim to the
> ultimate goal of becoming "Big Sim on Campus" in The Sims 2
> University.
>

> The Sims 2 University will ship under the EA GAMEST brand. The Sims 2
> is required to play The Sims 2 University.

Hmm whats next, on the workfloor?
November 22, 2004 2:44:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

"Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> schreef in bericht
> barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:08:09 -0600, "Jeremy Reaban"
>> <jer@connectria.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So many ideas for EPs, most of them better than this. IMHO, anyway.
>>
>> Doesn't appeal to me. Reminds me of Superstar, with a load of "fun"
>> goals that I had no interest in. Unless it wildly expands the
>> Buy/Build choices or has some other extra dimension, this looks like
>> non-starter for me.
>
> Well, I'll be getting it, because it does have some new objects like a
> guitar and pool table and drums (Snooty Sims has some pictures).
>
> But yeah, it doesn't appeal to me. Admittedly, as a college drop-out,
> college is something of a touchy subject for me. But beyond that, it's
> just too far removed from the rest of the gameplay - worse than
> Superstar, it sounds like you have to drop everything to play that one
> college sim until they graduate.

Yeah and it seems like your player didn`t find the time to do so ;o)
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:20:25 AM

wrote:

> So many ideas for EPs, most of them better than this. IMHO, anyway.
>
> http://info.ea.com/news/news.php?PHPSESSID=ffdf676466cf...

I don't know. A new life phase, presumably inserted between Teen and
Adult, seems a good thing. Free life extension, basically. More time to
develop each character, or each character you want to do that with. Life
isn't exactly too long for the little critters as it is. Making friends,
perhaps finding a lifemate, without spending valuable adult days. (And
without using the AGING OFF cheat or the Elixir of Life.) New social
interactions, perhaps they can take some of them with them into adult
life. Doesn't sound too bad. And there is nothing to say that you can't
keep up with your old friends and family while at the Uni. I don't think
it is so bad, although I would rather have Servo. ^_^*

I wonder if the next expansion pack is the retirement home for elderly
Sims... Just kidding! Work, probably.

good sign." -G
November 22, 2004 12:54:19 PM

"Katiya" <katiyaNO@SPAMhotmail.THANKScom> wrote in message

> I'm not wildly enthusiastic about this EP either.
>

> There are few screenshots in this article if anyone's interested:
>
> http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comments.php?catid=6&shown...

aside from the band objects, I didn't see any new objects in any of those
screenshots. :-(((
This doesn't sound very promising.

--
deb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

"Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> schreef in bericht
news:o pshud0bcvb52ai9@news.online.no...
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:08:09 -0600, Jeremy Reaban <jer@connectria.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So many ideas for EPs, most of them better than this. IMHO, anyway.
>>
>> http://info.ea.com/news/news.php?PHPSESSID=ffdf676466cf...
>

> I don't know. A new life phase, presumably inserted between Teen and
> Adult, seems a good thing. Free life extension, basically. More time to
> develop each character, or each character you want to do that with. Life
> isn't exactly too long for the little critters as it is. Making friends,
> perhaps finding a lifemate, without spending valuable adult days. (And
> without using the AGING OFF cheat or the Elixir of Life.) New social
> interactions, perhaps they can take some of them with them into adult
> life. Doesn't sound too bad. And there is nothing to say that you can't
> keep up with your old friends and family while at the Uni. I don't think
> it is so bad, although I would rather have Servo. ^_^*
>
> I wonder if the next expansion pack is the retirement home for elderly
> Sims... Just kidding! Work, probably.

The question is, can all go to college or university?
Or does the sim have to have a certain grade before
that sim can move on to higher education?
That is the big question now.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 11:28:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

I've seen boxes of chinese food (cute, but ... ) and two storey high
collumns (I've always wanted these, but its not a lot of goddies for a full
price EP)

:o (

"deb" <deb@whoknew.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Katiya" <katiyaNO@SPAMhotmail.THANKScom> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm not wildly enthusiastic about this EP either.
>>

>> There are few screenshots in this article if anyone's interested:
>>
>> http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comments.php?catid=6&shown...
>

> aside from the band objects, I didn't see any new objects in any of those
> screenshots. :-(((
> This doesn't sound very promising.
>
> --
> deb
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ... once again, road-runner leaves coyote in the dust ...

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 11:28:10 PM

chubchub wrote:
> I've seen boxes of chinese food (cute, but ... ) and two storey high
> collumns (I've always wanted these, but its not a lot of goddies for
> a full price EP)
>
>> O(

I hope they'll have additional soundtracks though (and I want my modern
columns back!). How about open showers? I went to an open house during the
weekend and saw an open shower in the backyard, and I was about to giggle.
LOL!

Ashikaga
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:52:34 PM

"Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message
> So many ideas for EPs, most of them better than this. IMHO, anyway.

I was really disappointed about this new EP. I do think some of the
Sorority and Frat stuff might be fun, and I really want the new objects, but
the rest of the pack doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll probably get it just
so I can hack the new stuff.
--
Carrigon
http://carrigon.proboards15.com