Cant start computer

Hello,
I cannot get the computer to start. to boot. It turn on for 3-4 seconds fan starts then al quits. I have replaced the power unit thinking that was it ,, no go. I have replaced the memory no go any thoughts? I pushe the sart button and only runs for 3-4 seconds doesnt even get to a screen please advise

Thanks B
31 answers Last reply
More about cant start computer
  1. perhaps your bios is corrupted try setting clear cmos on the motherboard or pulling the battery from the motherboard for about 20 seconds might help to reset bios settings too.
  2. i had this problem before and moveing the cmos jumpers fixed it what motherboard you have
  3. power supply seems dead
  4. If the power supply was dead the PC wont have booted for 3-4 sec as the OP said!

    Try the BIOS reset thing and see. Meanwhile it would be a lot easier to help if we could know your full system config along with brand, model name and rating!
  5. yeah it would

    been there done that with dying psu's

    thats actually very characteristic of a dying psu
  6. The 12V four pin power connector probably isn't plugged in. That would also cause the problem.
  7. verndewd said:
    yeah it would

    been there done that with dying psu's

    thats actually very characteristic of a dying psu

    Big difference between dieing and dead...
  8. mi1ez said:
    Big difference between dieing and dead...

    Ya! That's why i said that a dead PSU wont boot but dying PSU would give such booting issues!
  9. hell_storm2004 said:
    If the power supply was dead the PC wont have booted for 3-4 sec as the OP said!

    Try the BIOS reset thing and see. Meanwhile it would be a lot easier to help if we could know your full system config along with brand, model name and rating!


    In my original post i realized lots of spelling issues but dang I was so frustrated. With that said the system config it this

    brand Emachine. T5234 (yes quit laughing) but its all we have right now.
    AMD 64X2 4000+ (dual core)
    2.1 ghZ 2x512KB L2 cache, 2000MhZ BUS

    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
    2GB ram DDR
    Running XP
  10. techguy378 said:
    The 12V four pin power connector probably isn't plugged in. That would also cause the problem.

    its plugged in I reset all the connectors prior to the post
  11. As advised -I pulled the cmos batters and reset the jumper, its started and ran and as it was loading the monitor stated no signal and went blank at about the same time the system shut down again So again I ask any more thoughts besides the one I keep hearing (get a new machine)
  12. power supply
  13. hell_storm2004 said:
    Ya! That's why i said that a dead PSU wont boot but dying PSU would give such booting issues!

    if it boots the fans and not the system its dead for all intents and purposes DERRR :pt1cable: :pt1cable: what belle is going through I have gone through several times and it was a dead psu, by dead i mean wont boot the system dead. what do i need cartoon colored pictures ?

    it amazing how you guys are so intent on having her run around doing all of this garbage for a classic symptom of a dead psu, wont boot the system =dead
  14. :bounce: So does that mean I should makeit a paper weight and ge a new system? :fou:
  15. pff
    yeah do that it would be easier than telling you to test the power supply.
  16. verndewd said:
    pff
    yeah do that it would be easier than telling you to test the power supply.

    The power supply is new I replaced it prior to the post. I did all the cmos resets and was able to get it to start for a bit so I tried to re do the system. I put in a restore CD a new drive, along with a new operating system, it started loading and when it shut off for restart after the install it started the same process all over again
    I dont know if the OP system ever was installed. When i hook up the old drive it also will not start.

    If i take out the Ram and attempt to start I get long beeps but nothing else. I have tried with one stick of ram, in the other slots still with no progress?
  17. eww well hdd's can do similar things but you may have a faulty mobo. also psu's can ship bad so id test it anyway. if you try ram booting you test one stick at a time if you only have one stick you need 2. If the bios is corrupted its a dead mobo.
  18. Hmmm the more times i read whats been said, the more i think it's the motherboard it self.

    If your motherboard as electrolytic capacitors, check all of them and see to make sure that non of them are blow or bulging.

    Now if there solid or electrolytic capacitors then make sure non of them are bent.

    It's probably not this thats causing it but i dont want to leave a stone unturned.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague#Symptoms
  19. P.d. make sure the motherboard capacitors near the cpu socket have no leaks.


    well finally it seems to be the motherboard ,fortunatelly i researched your pc's stock motherboard and its just like this one:


    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4665157&CatId=2320


    for 50 $ usd can't go wrong..
  20. shagrathdex666 said:
    P.d. make sure the motherboard capacitors near the cpu socket have no leaks.


    well finally it seems to be the motherboard ,fortunatelly i researched your pc's stock motherboard and its just like this one:


    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4665157&CatId=2320


    for 50 $ usd can't go wrong..

    Thank you for the information. I did check my board and one of the capacitors is leaky at the top and has a brown crust look SO i will be replacing the board. Thanks for all the help. I may need further help
  21. I had same problem. SAME.
    I did alllllll the throubleshooting possible and nothing. In the end it was a faulty motherboard. So if you got warranty then send it in.
    Same as you the PSU was my first thought.
  22. ok I have installed a new board AND IT WORKS..

    New problems tho......I can get into the system,but i cant gt to the bios when pressing F2 it goes to to motherboards screen shoot ZOTAC nvidia then right into windows, once at my desk top I cant get to the internet, or even delete fireforx from add remove programs ANY THUGHTS?
  23. Belle1210 said:
    ok I have installed a new board AND IT WORKS..

    New problems tho......I can get into the system,but i cant gt to the bios when pressing F2 it goes to to motherboards screen shoot ZOTAC nvidia then right into windows, once at my desk top I cant get to the internet, or even delete fireforx from add remove programs ANY THUGHTS?


    Well glad you could at least turn it on.....

    hmmm...... i cant think what would be causing to not be able to delete Firefox. Sounds like an OS issue.

    Although for getting into bios, When it's posting, does it say press F2 to get into bios?
    Depending on the Bios/motherboard it can be a different button, like my gigabyte motherboard. i have to press the Delete button to get into bios While F2 deals with the dual boot stuff.

    Internet, well there maybe a setting in bios not turned on if your using the integrated ethernet.
  24. it doesn't say to use F2 i just Assumed ok I know what that was ... So I will try another key? The manual doesn't say another key any ideas?

    Getting into the internet is thru a wireless adapter and it say I have a connection and that I am connected just can get on any sites.
  25. i always press delete on boot to enter bios
  26. Belle1210 said:
    it doesn't say to use F2 i just Assumed ok I know what that was ... So I will try another key? The manual doesn't say another key any ideas?


    Well then my next question will be, do you see what bios maker it is on boot up? Like Award or Pheonix. If so
    this list should help you access the bios.

    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/a/biosaccess_bios.htm

    Quote:
    Getting into the internet is thru a wireless adapter and it say I have a connection and that I am connected just can get on any sites.


    is your router/ wireless modem from the ISP company or from a manufacture like Belkin or linksys? If it's an ISP, there maybe a restrition of adding a new computer without adding something like a mac address.
  27. I found it, yes its the delete key. the router is linksys with a WAp key that I had to rest on the computer still dont know why cant get out to the internet
  28. Belle1210 said:
    I found it, yes its the delete key. the router is linksys with a WAp key that I had to rest on the computer still dont know why cant get out to the internet


    Well, this i a problem that go's beyond my knowledge.

    Anyone here that knows networking better can help?
  29. Belle1210 said:
    I found it, yes its the delete key. the router is linksys with a WAp key that I had to rest on the computer still dont know why cant get out to the internet

    you may need to boot in safe mode and uninstall the old mobo drivers and then load the new ones. if you are using xp then id leave the hdd or chipset drivers and then uninstall them after the new drivers are in as there is a chance that if youre using an sata they may ned the drivers to recognze the hdd.
  30. R E I N S T A L L
    OS!!!!!
  31. or that not that its a requirement but it is best to start fresh. assuming you can afford to wipe the disk. Its not necessary its just best policy.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Boot Computer Fan