Sign in with
Your question

Cpu & mobo compatibility

Last response: in CPUs
February 4, 2010 3:50:31 AM

Yes I know this question has been asked a-fillion times. but I want a personal answer.

I want to know am I getting the full performance from my cpu. ive always questioned maybe the mobo or ram is limiting it.

I currently have this mobo..MSI K9N6PGM2-V

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-de...]CompUSA.com | K9N6PGM2-V | MSI K9N6PGM2-V Motherboard

and this cpu. AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...]CompUSA.com | ADO5200IAA5DO | AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Processor

heres a capture of my cup-z readings

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4328455513_e51b6742...

I currently have 2gbs of ram (windows 7 64bit ,so should i just up the ram)

I was thinking of just upgrading to this mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

any input or suggestion of any kind are greatly welcomed, thanks !

More about : cpu mobo compatibility

February 4, 2010 4:48:37 AM

basically depends on what you need(raid setup,more ram) but youre ok with your actual motherboard.

(if you plan to overclock the amd then purchase it)

about the ram only if you really fell those 2gb extras will really be necesary (video encoding,music conversion,3d rendering ,adobe..
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2010 4:51:06 AM

Upgrading a motherboard would never really boost your performance. Adding RAM, GPU and proccy would actually help!
m
l
February 4, 2010 4:53:22 AM

well his mobo is bw limited and upgrade limited so on the cheap he could get improvements with a good chipset . that mobo he has is a choker.

I would up the ram , i have 8gb and cant complain at all. getting an am2+ puts you in a decent upgrade position. having xfire capibilities looks great fro the coming 5800 card price drops when fermi comes out, nickel and dime a quad core into the rig and you would have a great setup.

id love to have a couple 5850's onboard but the price is a bit high yet. AM2 sucked in every concievable way. fortunately you can piece out an upgrade with decent quality results.
m
l
February 4, 2010 5:23:38 AM

Upgrading your mobo without upgrading the CPU is pointless.

Depending on your purpose, you may want to consider upgrading the CPU instead to get some performance boost, say the new Athlon II chips. According to MSI site, you may do so. http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpu2&prod_no=1472...

And finally get some additional 2gb RAM.
m
l
February 4, 2010 5:24:39 AM

its not pointless if hes saving for a quad core
m
l
February 4, 2010 5:26:44 AM

since i cant edit, are you high? upgrading an am2? thats rediculous.
m
l
February 4, 2010 5:29:52 AM

Quote:
I want to know am I getting the full performance from my cpu. ive always questioned maybe the mobo or ram is limiting it.

I don't see any plans on going quad core with his statement.

If he wants better performance without overhauling the entire system, just upgrade the CPU. With some bios updates, he would be able to support newer Athlon II chips.
m
l
February 4, 2010 5:32:04 AM

Dewd AM2 is bw limited hed be better off beinin a position to replace his cpu with at least an am2+ that has more throgh put in the on die fsb.

New mobo better capibilities to an upgrade path more throughput and features.
m
l
February 4, 2010 5:43:42 AM

FSB / Hyper Transport Bus Up to 1000MT/s

Chipset NVIDIA® MCP61 (6150SE)

sorry man the chipset isnt great, but in all fairness you are correct, but that doesnt remove the fact that the mobo sux.
1000 mt/s?

FSB 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
February 4, 2010 5:47:10 AM

^ Well, we can't do anything about that. This is quite an old mobo anyway.
m
l
February 4, 2010 5:48:10 AM

yeah he can buy a new mobo and save up for a quad
m
l
February 4, 2010 3:31:08 PM

Thanks for all the great replies yall, yeah I'm gonna upgrade to a quad phenom in the future.(my bad, i should have mentioned that) I just know the board sucks, lol. plus i would like more than just 2 dimm lots. I just dont want to spend my money all at once. I was gonna buy some more ram, but ddr 2 prices just shot up! like what the hell, lol. but i have another gig of ram not used (due to only having two slots). so that should hold me over till i can get it with the processor most likely. "Cough" college refund check "cough". so yall dont think the asus board i mentioned would be a good choice? if not could yall suggest something then. max price $100. but 70-80 would be even better.

Video encoding/Editing and Photo Editing and photography and some gaming are what i mostly use it for
m
l
February 4, 2010 3:39:34 PM

if you want great flexibility you need the 790 chipset and I would reccommend the 140 watt capable mobo incase you want to fidge with overclocking a bit. To guarantee the most for that soon to be antiquated set up you should follow my advice.
am2/am2+
FSB 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
140w cpu capability
2x pciex16
790gx southbridge

save up for the best quad you can put in it
8gb ram
when prices drop on 5800's id do a 5850 that will make the rig relevant for 2-3 years or more. depending on how many more dx freak update ms puts out that requires a new os. I really hate the way they are doing that. youre not buying anything more than windows xp modded to the gills yet you have to pay hundreds for the new direct x.anywho 2 5850s will make the rig relevant for longer on win 7.

But pc useability relevance is very debateable. my aunt has a 3gbddr2/ am2 2.8 black edition x2, and an 8800gt. Still a decent pc and it games well enough on windows xp for her. shes 78.
m
l
February 4, 2010 3:59:12 PM

lol the yeah direct x updates are getting ridiculous. and Windows revisions are very much just glorified service packs. the activation stuff, makes it even worse.

lol i couldn't find a 790gx Southbridge anywhere, only a 790gx Northbrge. or maybe im just looking wrong
m
l
February 4, 2010 4:00:38 PM

israel09 said:
lol the yeah direct x updates are getting ridiculous. and Windows revisions are very much just glorified service packs. the activation stuff, makes it even worse.

lol i couldn't find a 790gx Southbridge anywhere, only a 790gx Northbrge. or maybe im just looking wrong

i think the sb is 750
m
l
February 4, 2010 4:03:46 PM

lol ok yeah, thanks, i really appreicate the help too.

When i first assembled my pc last year, i cheap'd out ,thinking i really wasn't gonna use it that much..i was wrong, lol
m
l
February 4, 2010 4:13:10 PM

that one seems like it'll be great too, but my case wont support full size atx..grrr, lol
m
l
February 4, 2010 4:25:57 PM

ok, awesome, i have it bookmarked
m
l
February 4, 2010 8:03:20 PM

those are ATX as well they look good but your case is tiny. and if you go full atx id get the 140w cpu ready mobo.
m
l
February 4, 2010 8:21:05 PM

lol ,had to check and make sure. it will fit a full size atx. i dunno what i was thinking, lol,
m
l
!