NVidia GEFORCE 9800 GTX+ (factory OC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emerald_dream

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Hello,

I upgraded my system semi-recently and I've been having some problems while playing a few games. CoD4 seems to be fine, however during gameplay in WoW and Portal my screen will go black and my monitor will display "No video input." My computer is still running fine but my gfx card is not running at all. When this happens the fan on my GPU has stopped completely and I have to kill the computer manually. Sometimes everything is fine and I can play WoW and even multibox (multi-client) and I have no problems. Other times a single client will crash the gfx card like I described above. My idle temperatures are anywhere around 35c to 41c, while in game they may rise a few degrees. I've upgraded to the latest drivers and even tried that a few times (uninstalling and sweeping any old drivers).

Gigabyte Mobo AMD 790X chipset
9800 GTX+ (factory OC'd) http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr98512gtxpoce.aspx
AMD Quadcore Phenom II X4 945
Windows XP Pro (32bit)
OCZ 700W PSU

If According to BFG PSU requirements are: 475W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 26A

If understand right, my PSU 12v rails meet the minimum requirements for my 9800. PSU wattage charts http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/awards...tage_charts.jpg

For the 700W the rails are 25a each, so combined would be 50a which should be more than sufficient. I think thats how it works.

So, thats the research I've done on it. I don't think its my power supply, and I haven't had the problem except in games, so that makes me think it could be a driver problem and not hardware. But if its driver, then why does the fan stop? unsure.gif

Any help would be very much appreciated. And if I've left something out let me know. Thanks

Solution
The first thing that I would try would be to remove and reseat the card in its slot.
It could be that when the card gets warm it is losing contact.
R&Ring it often will correct this.
Status
Not open for further replies.