Sign in with
Your question

Laptop becomes undiscoverable

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 3, 2010 11:34:37 AM

Got a problem with connecting to my wireless laptop (RDP, ping, etc..).

The laptop connects via wireless and I can view it on the network and in the routers 'attached devices' page.

After a while the laptop dissapears from this list and I can't connect to it over the network.

However, if I go on the laptop and do some internet activity it is discoverable again.

Any ideas?

More about : laptop undiscoverable

a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
March 3, 2010 11:45:48 AM

Make sure the laptop is not going into some kind of power saving mode after idling a while. If not the whole laptop, it might be powering down USB, for example, and if you have a USB wireless adapter, that could be the problem. Then once you return to the laptop it powers up fully and it's discoverable again.
March 3, 2010 11:51:08 AM

That's what it sounds like, but it's an internal wireless adaptor. The laptop is awake but could it turn off the wireless adaptor?
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
March 3, 2010 11:56:56 AM

Langers said:
That's what it sounds like, but it's an internal wireless adaptor. The laptop is awake but could it turn off the wireless adaptor?

It might. Power management schemes vary and yours may power down after a while. Check under power options/management, or even the wifi adapter under device manager to see what power management settings it may be using.

In the worst case, just disable power management completely and see what happens.

!