Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking issues with i7 930

Last response: in Overclocking
April 24, 2012 2:31:48 AM

Hey guys, my i7 930 at stock hits about 68c in Prime95, which isn't bad. However the moment you boost the base clock up the temps soar to 80+ in prime95. This is even at 3ghz+. I am going to buy a CM 212 however it seems like i have bigger issues. I cannot adjust my Voltage. As in its just greyed out. Im using an x58m and stock cpu cooler. I know the stock cpu cooler is *** but the lack of any OC room isn't possible. I cleaned my computer and redid the Thermal paste in January so that should not be an issue. The Voltage seems to change from 1.18 (with stock clocks/2.88ghz) to 1.26 when overclocked. Any help would be amazing. Note these Voltage were spotted in the bios, no idea what they are while doing prime95
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 2:41:28 AM

Tell me this... Did you overclock using the stock cooler? even just a slight OC?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 2:43:29 AM

Some motherboards do not support as many overclocking options, especially with the cpus that have locked multipliers, like yours. Stock cpu coolers are not designed for overclocking, but the CM Hyper 212 should let you get a moderate overclock. My guess is you don't have much of a motherboard for overclocking since there are no voltage options for your cpu. How is the rest of your case for airflow?
m
l
April 24, 2012 2:59:12 AM

I have my i7 930 @ 3.8 with a Arctic freezer 13 pro, temps are around 50c.

Even with the stock cooler at stock speeds I never saw above 45c and i live in a hot country ambient mid 30c during the summer, and I could also OC to 3.8 with the stock cooler, temps around 70c-80c

Did you install the CPU yourself, maybe you bent on of the pin connecting the CPU to the motherboard, I did that with one of my old PCs and it made it really OC unstable.

Other than that I would say return the CPU as it sound a bit wrong.
m
l
April 28, 2012 5:09:52 AM

Fixed, realized i needed to use the + /- on the NUMPAD instead of above the regular keyboards, have stable clock of 3.4 peaking 70c in prime after 24hrs with ht on and stock cooler
m
l
!