steelviper

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I just recently overclocked my CPU's....(28x multiplier)...I have 2 i7 965 extreme with liquid cooling. What is the safest settings that i can go? Currently at 3.7Ghz

Solution
just saw the 3rd pic yah its the chip set that has liquid cooling as well if that were a second socket it would be in a different spot than that and have a lot of room for a second heat sink.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
For overclocking you really need put lot of efforts to get the really overclocking working with a stable form.

Just try changing the values or tweaking the core voltage until you get the best stable point for your overclocked processor.

As far as we can not determine safe value because it really differs from system to system.

There's a common misconception that overclocking lets you turn a 200 dollar component into a 500 dollar component. To some extent this is true but it can drastically shorten the lifespan of the product and is also a good way to end up with a 200 dollar paperweight if you are not careful. In your case, we're talking about a 1000 dollar potential paperweight.

Overclocking is dangerous and anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't had to learn the hard way

You say you have 2 i7 965 Extreme with liquid cooling are we talking 2 completely different machines or are both CPUs on a server motherboard?

I cannot imagine why anyone would put 2 965 extremes with their overclocking capabilities on a server motherboard, so it would be nice if you would provide your complete specs model #s and all.

The i7 965 extreme is an unlocked multiplier CPU but you may be seriously limited by the motherboard if you do have 2 in a server motherboard, so could you please clarify what specifically you actually have?

steelviper

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
They are both on the same board..total of 8 cores. My machine is a Dell XPS 730X. This is how the machine came...not sure if it is a server MB or not...MB model is 0P27OJ...This was the best comp dell sold when i bought...supposed to have extreme everything

No offense! I cannot find any reference to a dual CPU motherboard Dell has released for the XPS 730X, is the reference to dual CPU or dual GPU, it has 2 graphics cards but Dell does not even show a dual CPU motherboard for that system.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/bpi/desktops/desktop-xps-730x/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-xps-730x&s=bpi

With the CPU being an unlocked multiplier CPU all you have to do to overclock it, is raise the multiplier one step increase at a time until it refuses to boot with stock voltage.

Then you raise the stock voltage a step at the time until the increased multiplier boots, then benchmark and stress test continuing to increase the voltage a step at the time until you get the higher multiplier stable.

Write down and record your progress as you go, when you get that multiplier stable you can increase the multiplier again and continue the process of raising the voltage one step at a time until you get the next multiplier level increase stable.

Recording your results as you go you can continue with the process above increasing the multiplier, then the CPU voltage, to stabilize until it just won't boot anymore, then go back to your last stable multiplier level and that's your overclock.

The i7 965 only has one QPI link, it does not have the ability to communicate with other processors and thus cannot be used in a dual socket (2 QPI links required) or quad socket system (4 QPI links required).

If you don't even know how many processors your computer has, you shouldn't be playing with them

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Wow... it's sad to say this but your machine have only 1 i7 965. Not dual.

i7 965 have hyperthreading technology that makes 2 threads per core.
Your computer have 4 cores only, but supports 8 threads cores... so your task manager understand that as a 8 core cpu.. but it is not..

EDIT: Intel® Core™ i7-965 Processor Extreme Edition