4870x2 vs the 5000 series

G

has anyone seen direct comparion between the 4870x2 in cross or quadfire vs the new ati 5000 series?

I figured based on previous posts that there is an overkill of power in 2 4870x2's for quite a while..

I just noticed the only game that challenged the 4870x2 in quadfire was cyrsis and that was due to software issues..

my only concern is that id like to see graphics in all their glory... so i guess its worth waiting some time for the new ati flagship which brings me to the second questioin..

ati vs nidivida..I know neither is better as both have their advantages ...but i have always had ati cards..and am an ati fan..although i dont mind nividia either..

ive been told that wih having 2 4870x2's is WAY more than enough power to power ANY game in all its glory...is that accurate?

thanks for any feedback!

At up to 1920 x 1200, even one 4870x2 makes any game playable. I played Crysis and warhead on full settings on my son's box w/ a GTX 295 and experienced no issues and the 4870x2 does bit better than the 295. (max FPSs / Avg FPS / Min FPS)

GTX 295 (58/44/21)
4870x2 (61/45/26)

However, the 4870x2 doesn't seem to scale well, at least in this review:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=711&pageid=9

Twin GTX 295 (105/59/28)
Twin 4870x2 (64/48/28)

problem is both the 4870x2 and the GTX 295 are in extreme short supply....newgg has 2 pages of "product no longer available" on the 4870x2.

With both nVidia and ATI using the same manufacturing plant, my guess is a the push to get fermi out and ATI's yield issues with the 5xxx, little production resources are available to keep the supply of older designs coming.

G

im wondering if I do have enough power to run ANY game at full graphics..with two 4870x2's..
i wonder if anyone knows what the sytem requirements will be for crysis 2..seems that game is the ultimate test for a good system...

is there any game that would out do crysis in regards to stresson a system?
re5? bioshock? batman?fallout 3??

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
im wondering if I do have enough power to run ANY game at full graphics..with two 4870x2's..
i wonder if anyone knows what the sytem requirements will be for crysis 2..seems that game is the ultimate test for a good system...

is there any game that would out do crysis in regards to stresson a system?
re5? bioshock? batman?fallout 3??

You can play any current game maxed out with a 4870x2, I can guarantee you that. But remember that the videocard is only a single part of the whole equation. You need a balanced system.

No, Crysis still is the PC Hog king. And nobody knows about Crysis 2's system requirements.. In my humble opinion, this game is poorly coded that's why it sucks so much resources, Devs could do a lot better than tha... I bet Crysis 2 will not be such a PC killer.