Seeking advice on my < $1000 gaming build

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I aim to build it between December 19th and January 3rd, but I am unsure as to when I should buy the parts so that I have them on time and so that I can send any back if they are DOA.

BUDGET RANGE: < $1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: The new generation of ATI video cards

OVERCLOCKING: Probably not, I don't want to risk it

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Because AMD owns ATI, does that mean there will be better compatibility between the two? Also, based on the parts below, should I get any extra cooling devices (e.g. fans, heatsinks, etc). The only part I haven't chosen is a power supply, so I need some input on that especially, keeping in mind that I have around $110 dollars left. Thanks!

THE BUILD ITSELF:

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail $179.99

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail $171.99*

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $119.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail $95.99*

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $84.99

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM $31.99

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $99.99

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
$104.99*

Total (does not include shipping) $889.92

*Denotes free shipping

Once again, I would appreciate any and all input!
16 answers Last reply
More about seeking advice 1000 gaming build
  1. Wow! Thanks, man, I really appreciate it. Could you possibly send me a direct link to that list? Wow, once again, thanks.

Also, that thread about OC is a tad confusing to follow. Could you clarify what they're discussing?

EDIT: Over the next month I'm going to be watching the price on the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 card to see if it drops. If it does by the time I build my system, great, if it doesn't, then ok, the 5770 is still amazing, too.
  2. Thanks. Also, what is CF?
  3. Crossfire - where 2 or more ATI cards combine for better performance You are welcomed
  4. Ah, I most likely won't be doing that. Thanks for clarifying. So, out of curiosity, how much experience do you have with building computers?
  5. I do up a couple every week but DIY is my side business hehe
  6. Ah, I see. When should I start ordering my parts?
  7. That depends on if u have the funds on hand hehe
  8. Yes, I do, I'm just 15 but I have money saved up from my whole life and this will be my first "major" purchase.

So when should I get the parts?
  9. Well if you could wait till Dec 19 then do so as there is a chance other HD 5k cards would be restocked....not to mention the knock on effect of a Hemlock HD 5970 on Egg...hmmm
  10. "Knock on effect?" Please explain.

Also, I'll probably end up getting the 5770. It looks like an amazing card in and of itself.

Do you think that I should order parts as I see discounts and stuff pop up over the next month?
  11. As in the introduction of the world's fastest GPU could possibly drive prices down? Ya if u can wait why not ^^
  12. Alright...if the 5850 drops below 300 I'll probably get it. Heh.
  13. Yep top class GPU with superior next gen power-to-frames ratio! Good choice ^^
  14. Hmm, then I might just spend the extra money and get it. Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product