Faster boot time for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
EDIT: This method is not a real solution and may not even make a difference for you. However it did for me and I just want to share a possible benefit for anyone willing to try.

I found out a way to boot my Windows 7 from 30 seconds to 20 seconds. I only use 1 HDD (WD Caviar Black 1TB) with no SSDs or RAID. Again, this is may or may not affect your boot times, but it's still worth a try since it only takes 1-2 minutes to try out.

skora has indeed given evidence that this is just a Windows myth, so please don't hold it against me if it does not have a change in your boot times.

Steps:

1)Press Windows + R to have the Run window pop up.
2)Type "msconfig" in the box and press enter.
3)Now a new window will pop up and click the "Boot" tab on top.
4)Click the "Advanced options..." box.
5)Click the "Number of processors:" box and drag it down to your max number of cores (2,3, or 4).
6)Press ok twice and it will prompt you to reboot your computer.
7)Press Reboot now and experience a faster boot up!

I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move this thread to the appropriate section.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Boot times have more to do with number of services loading and HDD speed, not the CPU. It effects it some, but not to the same degree.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

This part I knew, since I was testing it by just changing what I posted up and not any services/BIOS settings. However, I didn't know it didn't make a difference for everyone, so thanks for the heads up.

I did notice having it unchecked gave me a 28-30 second boot up time from the Windows logo to my Desktop, while checking it and selecting 4 procs gave me a 19-21 second boot up. Tested this about 3-4 times to confirm. If it doesn't help many people, maybe others will benefit from this like I did.

Mods you're welcome to keep, lock, or delete this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.