Radeon 4890 problems

BoondockSaint

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I just got a new Radeon 4890 last night installed it and everything worked fine, I woke up this morning and heard the fan speeding up then slowing down and had a black screen on my pc I had to remove the card be able to turn my pc back on. I waited awhile and put the card back in and everything worked fine untill I started to load up a game and I got the black screen again and whan I tried to restart it with the card in it just crashes at the windows loading screen. I dont understand why it was working fine last night and works 1/2 the time now. Im a newbie when it comes to the way a computer runs but Im pretty sure my system should be able to handle the card

AMD Phenom II X2 3.1 GHz Black Edition Processor
Sapphire HD 4830 512mb GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0
Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H Motherboard ( Bios has been updated to fit Phenom II X4 965 BE AM3 Processor )
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 32mb Cache 7,200rpm SATA II 3.0 Hard Drive
LG 22x SATA DVD-RW
X-FI 7.1 HD Sound Card
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Edition Gaming Case with Lighting Acessories
650w Corsiar 80plus SLI/CrossfireX Certified with Custom Green Sleeves

Any feedback is greatly appreciated thx for your time.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Wait, so you're asking about an HD 4830 or 4890? Your specs are a bit confusing. Have you uninstalled all your drivers then installed the new Catalyst 9.11 drivers? It needs to be re-installed to properly detect a change in the 4800 series.

BoondockSaint

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Sorry its the 4890 I meant to take out the vid card in the specs i posted, I did a driver sweep and installed 9.11 and im still having the same issues it worked fine the first night now when I load up my game it crashes and when i try to restart it crashes on the windows start screen and the PC the fan on the vid card just speeds up n slows down and I have to remove the card and do a system restore before I can use windows again