Sign in with
Your question

Which motherboard suits AMD Athlon X2 240 Regor 2.8Ghz

Last response: in Motherboards
May 28, 2010 11:27:09 AM

Hi i have decided to buy a AMD athlon X2 240 Regor 2.8Ghz .Now i want to build a budget Gaming PC with this .

My budget for the motherboard would be around : 60$-70$

I want to play all the recent games at reasonable frame rates [with all the settings low]
Monitor resolution will be using 1024 X 768.
Don't need DDR3.
But would love a motherboard that can O.C well upto 1600Mhz or 1333Mhz.Should support 800Mhz too with DDR2.
HDMI,Firewire is optional.
Should have Good Integrated Graphics [Not planning to buy any addon graphic cards] :cry: 

some options i already have in mind is 790GX or 785G chipset based Biostar / Gigabyte boards.

Please do shower your expertise & experiences on this post
May 28, 2010 12:53:44 PM

Well, In my expereince the Asus motherboards are a good choice and should fit your budget.
You can get the AMD chipset based board with the 4200 ATI integrated vid that rocks along quite nicely.
I'm running the $100 M4A785TD-V EVO with an X4 620 cpu, but they make a "little brother" version with almost all the same features.
Also the integrated vid comes with onboard "sideport" memeory, so you dont have to use alot of system ram to run it.

And BTW I've got my vid overclocked to 675MHz without any problems

So I suggest go ASUS!
May 28, 2010 12:55:58 PM

PS. I've got my CPU overclocked to 3.25GHz....stock was 2.6GHz
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 1:23:04 PM

gokujames said:
Hi i have decided to buy a AMD athlon X2 240 Regor 2.8Ghz .Now i want to build a budget Gaming PC with this .

My budget for the motherboard would be around : 60$-70$

I want to play all the recent games at reasonable frame rates [with all the settings low]
Monitor resolution will be using 1024 X 768.
Don't need DDR3.
But would love a motherboard that can O.C well upto 1600Mhz or 1333Mhz.Should support 800Mhz too with DDR2.
HDMI,Firewire is optional.
Should have Good Integrated Graphics [Not planning to buy any addon graphic cards] :cry: 

some options i already have in mind is 790GX or 785G chipset based Biostar / Gigabyte boards.

Please do shower your expertise & experiences on this post

Are you buying from newegg? If so here is what I recommend. It is an MSI since Biostar that support DDR2 are out of budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is $68.00.

But if you can stretch your budget, here is a Biostar that have better specs than the MSI above:

I assume you already have DDR2 RAM since you specifically requested DDR2 support. How much of it do you have?
May 28, 2010 1:46:28 PM

randomkid said:
Are you buying from newegg?

Nope.A Dealer over here in India www.deltapage.com

The Gigabyte motherboard is a HIT but also posts a bit of problems for most of the users i searched in various forums.
Biostar would be good choice !! Thanks

randomkid said:

I assume you already have DDR2 RAM since you specifically requested DDR2 support. How much of it do you have?

I have 2Gb Kingston Single 800Mhz stick
May 28, 2010 1:48:18 PM

Deadstick50 said:
PS. I've got my CPU overclocked to 3.25GHz....stock was 2.6GHz

I really love this chip because of it Overclocking abilities
May 28, 2010 1:57:37 PM

Deadstick50 said:
So I suggest go ASUS!

Thats more like it ,which board do you prefer from these below

ASUS M2N68-AM Specs

ASUS M4N68T-M Specs

ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Specs
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 2:25:37 PM

gokujames said:
ASUS M2N68-AM Specs

No onboard video.

gokujames said:

ASUS M4N68T-M Specs

Weak Video. It wont play as nice as the onboard video of the 785 or 790 motherboard.

gokujames said:

ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Specs

This have the HD3000 onboard video which is weaker than the HD 4200 in the 785 or HD3300 in the 790. But it should play okay.
May 29, 2010 1:01:54 AM

gokujames said:

ASUS M2N68-AM Specs

ASUS M4N68T-M Specs

ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Specs

Of the 3 you ask about this one :ASUS M4N68T-M: is the better on board vid, but I would be concerned that its not going to meet your needs as you stated them. Can you boost your budjet just a bit and get the ASUS M4A785-M? I really feel you will have a better expereince with the ATI 4200 vid chip!

Hope this is helping you decide.
Dead
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2010 1:26:57 AM

gokujames said:

I have 2Gb Kingston Single 800Mhz stick

Should be enough if on a tight budget. But take note that the onboard video will take up some of the RAM capacity. If you choose the one with the 128Mb sideport RAM, then you could just add another 256Mb from your RAM and you are left with still more than 1.5GB RAM.
May 29, 2010 2:02:14 AM

randomkid said:
Should be enough if on a tight budget. But take note that the onboard video will take up some of the RAM capacity. If you choose the one with the 128Mb sideport RAM, then you could just add another 256Mb from your RAM and you are left with still more than 1.5GB RAM.

I agree with this, and in fact this is how mine is setup right now, 2GB ram with 256Mb allocated to the vid chip, works great!

Dead
May 29, 2010 4:20:42 AM

Deadstick50 said:
Of the 3 you ask about this one :ASUS M4N68T-M: is the better on board vid, but I would be concerned that its not going to meet your needs as you stated them. Can you boost your budjet just a bit and get the ASUS M4A785-M? I really feel you will have a better expereince with the ATI 4200 vid chip!

Hope this is helping you decide.
Dead

Sure , you are talking my way.I am ready to invest if it is worth.could you post a link to the product & any reviews ,benchmark results etc so that i can decide.

Gokujames
May 29, 2010 4:31:59 AM

Deadstick50 said:
I agree with this, and in fact this is how mine is setup right now, 2GB ram with 256Mb allocated to the vid chip, works great!

Dead

Dead ,the vid chip taking up ram is default operating procedure of onboard chip or should I do it in order to play games in a decent manner. :o 
May 29, 2010 4:35:39 AM

I kinda guess , NVidia chipsets are not an option for AMD processors,many people have been having lotta problems with display drivers!!
May 29, 2010 11:40:04 AM

Actually you can run a mix of AMD and Nvidia, but at the same time yes there can be rare"issues" with compatability.
So the board Im talking about is on Newegg here, not sure where you can find it from your end, but heres the link to read up on it!

Now, as to setting up the vid sharing your system ram, you will need to set that in the bios. If you dont it will default to using the sideport only, which is 128 Mb of ddr3 1333 as i recall. It will run with only that, but wont be as responsive.

Did I cover everything?? Its early morning here and I cant be sure I got it all?
May 29, 2010 2:17:29 PM

Deadstick50 said:
Now, as to setting up the vid sharing your system ram, you will need to set that in the bios. If you dont it will default to using the sideport only, which is 128 Mb of ddr3 1333 as i recall. It will run with only that, but wont be as responsive.
Did cover everything?? Its early morning here and I cant be sure I got it all?

you covered everything.but just a silly question,the Integrated graphics is DDR3 as you stated but all i have is DDR2 ,so can they be paired ,what should i compensate if i have to pair them..
May 29, 2010 5:00:13 PM

Not a silly question at all, you're not actually pairing the sideport with the system ram, you are just sharing, so no problems and only have to tell the bios how much to use.

When you get this thing built maybe we can swap e-mail addresses and I'll help you set it up?

Dead
May 31, 2010 4:31:15 AM

Hey deadstick ,another question
Is a 500W PSU enough to power this Rig.[I order processor ,motherboard from a local reseller will be getting it today]
If not How will i find what wattage of PSU to be used ?[How will i know what wattage of PSU to buy when buying a New motherboard]
May 31, 2010 12:43:14 PM

gokujames,
If youre only going to run onboard vid, or one add in vid card, 500watts is fine.
If there is ANY chance youre going to want dual add on vid in the future, then I would say look at 650 watts, either way you need to make sure you get a good quality PSU......one bad PSU could cost you the whole system if it blows out.
OCZ makes good equiptment, I'm running the ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W
in my system right now, havent had any trouble with it.

Anything else?

Dead
June 1, 2010 9:51:16 AM

Hey dead , You are one awesome Geek saved me such a lotta money,
I got the Mb + Proccy yesterday & what do you know
Winxp 32bit + 2Gb DDR2 880 ram + ASUS M4A785-m .I am playing almost all the games at such a good rate.My friend just bulged into my specs & is really impressed with my specs as the Temp stand's at 23-25 even on Overclocking.
He too wants to buy a mB & his recommendation are these:p lease do review your opinion on these Mboards quoted below.[How do i mark your's as best answer]

BIOSTAR:
790 GX BE
790 GX 128M
A785GE
TA785G3 HD

GigaByte:
790GPUD4H
785GMUS2H
785GMT-US2H

Again thanks for your wonderful recommendation man ,Tk awesome :D 
June 7, 2010 4:39:27 PM

hey goku,

My 'net was off the last few days, sorry about the delay getting back to you.
Glad you got what you needed out of my suggestions, and that its all working good for you. And thanks for the GEEK comment!!

Now the friends question, I think the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H is the better out of these, but you didnt say if hes planning the same use for his that you did for yours.

There should be a button near the answers ive posted that says best answer, you just click it to set it!!

Dead
June 8, 2010 3:07:22 AM

Hey yeah he is less casual gamer than me,just plays Age of Empires,Age of Mythology & some reflexive arcade games.Can you give me a option from the Biostar section on which is best motherboard.
June 8, 2010 3:47:33 AM

Well, of the biostars (Im not a fan of their stuff) the TA785 G3 seems the better all around, it has the better vid and runs the DDR3! On anything new I would say run DDR3 if you can.

Dead
!