Your question

New Upgrade need suggestions

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2009 8:39:04 PM

I know there are countless threads like this but I have been out of the loop for almost 4 years. I have a Pentium D 805 and an old 7800GS that I want to replace, been running it for almost 4 years now so its time to move on.

The rig im setting up is: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition and ASUS M4A79XTD. Im a light gamer, only really plan on playing Diablo 3, starcraft and elder scrolls 5 if it ever comes out and whatever else interests me ( mostly play on ps3 now anyway ).

In terms of graphics cards im looking at the DIAMOND 4770PE5512 Radeon HD 4770. I dont know much about cards anymore and whether DX11 is worth going after, but im really just looking for something thats cost effective and will hold me over for a few years as I dont upgrade as much as I used to when I was younger. I'm probably going to run a 24 inch LCD screen so I guess the reso will come out to 1920x1200, as long as I can game on that without FPS lag im happy without the other bells and whistles.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

More about : upgrade suggestions

a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2009 9:19:04 PM

Assuming your PSU is up to the task, I recommend a ATI 5750 or 5770 this way you'll be able to CrossFire down the road when needed.
m
l
November 26, 2009 11:44:15 PM

Well, you are buying a a new system, so I think it will be a good idea to go DX11. I found the 5770 to be expensive right now for what it gives. You can also get a 4890 for less than it (if you are lucky) which perform 20% to 30% better...

m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2009 12:40:09 AM

I have been looking at the 4000 series but since its DX10 I really feel like its pointless. When I built my systerm I went with old technology to keep some of my existing parts and I regretted it ever since.

Im basically trying to get something as up to date as possible without shelling out to much dough.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2009 1:05:42 PM

^In that case the 5770 or 5750 would be a good option as you can CrossFire down the road.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2009 1:16:54 PM

I would suggest dropping down to a 785g ddr3 motherboard, and staying with single video card graphics solutions. You can save some good dough on the mobo and still get the most out of your CPU and videocard.

The money saved can upgrade your 4770 to a DX11, top gen 5770 videocard. Preparing for crossfire in the future seems to be a little bit too hardcore for your claim to not be that big of a gamer, just want to be ready for those specific titles. Also, over time with driver maturation, the 5770 will probably come close to the end of life performance of the 4890. If not, who cares, it still does pretty damn good as it is, any improvement would be bonus.

Also, for a budget build, and considering Tom's review of the Athlon IIs and how little they differ in-game performance against the much pricier Phenom IIs, I would seriously consider going with an Athlon II 630. It is a quad core with lower clock speeds and no L3 cache, but performs admirable in a gaming environment.

Perhaps going with an Athlon II x4, and a 785g mobo, would save you enough money to strap in a 5850 videocard. Food for thought.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2009 2:43:44 PM

^+1 for the Athlon II consideration.

Also note, a good 785G based motherboard with support for CrossFire can be had for less than $100.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Note: The second PCIe slot for CrossFire is only x4 so I'm not sure if that will be a bottle neck. In either case, it's a VERY good board for under $100.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2009 4:59:37 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^+1 for the Athlon II consideration.

Also note, a good 785G based motherboard with support for CrossFire can be had for less than $100.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Note: The second PCIe slot for CrossFire is only x4 so I'm not sure if that will be a bottle neck. In either case, it's a VERY good board for under $100.

I was never able to get crossfire to work at all with an identical borrowed Sapphire 4870 512mb, but my board is the previous gen of the 785 (I have a gigabyte 780g with x16/x4 PCI-E slots), so perhaps it would be different on those, or with a different manufacturer. It is usable as a dedicated physX card slot, but the cost of running that well is probably out of your consideration, not to mention the difficulties with drivers ( http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-physx-ati-gpu-d... ). My experience with a cheaper nvidia card dedicated to physXwas not good.

m
l
!