I think i killed my pc!!!

Hello all,

First post here, although i am an avid reader, saved me more than a few times!! However now I have a major problem... I think i killed my pc, the specs are below:

Processor: AMD Phenom II 965

Processor Interface : Socket AM3

Memory: Major Brand 4gb DDR2 800 PC6400 CL6.0 Memory Module

Hard Drive: Branded 1tb Sata 7200rpm 16mb Cache HDD

Graphics Card: GTS 250 1gb

Motherboard: Asrock K10N78 Full HD-HSLI AM2 5200MT/S Nvidia 8200 Chipset SKT AM2

Max Memory Support: 16gb DDR2 1066

Motherboard Expansion Slots: 1x PCI-E 16x, 1x PCI-E 1x, 2x 32-bit PCI

Power Supply: Branded 450w 24Pin Power Supply Unit

Thought i was updating the bios to work better with my new CPU (which was working perfectly should have left it as it was) but the item I downloaded from the offical ASrock website seems to have killed my pc!!

While there is no smell of burning and all fans, lights, dvd (open and close) are working, there is no signal to my monitor?! and doesn't seem to be booting up. Tried the jump think with the pins no change and did the CMOS battery think no joy... what the hell have I done?!?! and what can i do to get it running again?!?

Thanking you all in advance!! with every thing crossed!!
8 answers Last reply
More about killed
  1. welcome to the forums newcommer. :)

your problem maybe du to bios incompatibility. was the BIOS update successful? no signal to the monitor can mean that your boards fried.

take the GPU out and try the onboard grafix card to rule out your boards death:)

post back here soon !
  2. hang on, can you use another PSU to power your rig, one that has higher wattage? 500-550W

sorry my keyboards been acting up lately :S
  3. If lutfij's suggestion doesn't work, try the following:

1. When you switched the CLR_CMOS jumper position from 1-2 to 2-3, did you first remove all power connections from the motherboard? If not, you most certainly did kill your mobo.

2. If you did remember to remove all the power connectors, then try just ONE RAM module at a time. If you get a display, then shut down, add one more module. Also try them in both single and dual channel configuration.

3. While unlikely, try testing for a short by performing a breadboard. Follow the link in my signature to the bottom of the checklist. There you will see a link to jsc's breadboarding guide.
  4. +1 ^ ^
  5. away from my pc... weekend away... please bare with me till i get back! Thanking you
  6. fulanito_uk said:
    ....... what can i do to get it running again?!?

Can you describe in detail your bios update procedure? Please include your original bios and bios you upgraded to.

Examine your manual for bios info. Some boards have a backup or recovery function for failed flashes. It doesn't look like yours does, but don't assume.

If you did screw up the flash, the board should be OK, but needs a new bios. ASROCK should be able to provide a replacement bios chip for you.

Another alternative way of fixing a dead bios chip can be found here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Recovering-Dead-Motherboards-Killed-by-the-CIH-Virus/39/1

This does sound like a bricked motherboard to me.
  7. All fixed! ASROCK sent me a new Bios chip and when fitted all i had to do was set the date on the bios and the PC was running great again!

Don't be scared to talk with ASROCK great people!

Thanks for all your help guys.
  8. ur welcome :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Motherboards