Changing from nvidia to ati

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I'm changing from Nvidia 9400gt to ati hd 4670. I've told to remove nvidia from device manager and also wouldn't hurt to remove programs from control panel\add remove\....etc. I got nvidia drivers, phys-x and stereo-scopic icons there.

Question: anything I need to do on top of the above steps?????

I have: windows vista 32 bit
cpu amd x2 4600+
2gb of ddr2 ram
300 watt 12v 19 amps power supply

Solution
Hey stevie,

Moving from one brand (or company as far as referring to AMD/Nvidia) of graphics card to another brand of graphics card is not as daunting as people would make it out to be. Most problems arise when doing this because people simply just do not uninstall their previous drivers beforehand. Firstly, what you'll want to do is simple before attempting to do some more complicated things like messing with safe mode. Go to Device Manager, expand "Display Adapters", right-click "NVidia GeForce 9 Series" and select uninstall. You may also need to go into Control Panel and uninstall any third-party NVidia software such as 3D Vision and any remaining driver installations (if applicable). NVidia's PhysX software does not need to be...
All you need is:
1. Regular uninstaller such as the Nvidia uninstaller or control panel uninstaller
2. 3rd party uninstaller that cleans drivers in registries...such as drive cleaner pro or drive sweeper in safe mode

After that you should be good to go

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Hey stevie,

Moving from one brand (or company as far as referring to AMD/Nvidia) of graphics card to another brand of graphics card is not as daunting as people would make it out to be. Most problems arise when doing this because people simply just do not uninstall their previous drivers beforehand. Firstly, what you'll want to do is simple before attempting to do some more complicated things like messing with safe mode. Go to Device Manager, expand "Display Adapters", right-click "NVidia GeForce 9 Series" and select uninstall. You may also need to go into Control Panel and uninstall any third-party NVidia software such as 3D Vision and any remaining driver installations (if applicable). NVidia's PhysX software does not need to be removed as it is still able to run on your system without an Nvidia graphics card present, albeit on your processor and not your GPU. Your system should return to a generic display driver with limited resolution and color depth. After that happens, power off the machine, replace the card, turn it back on, and if the computer is connected to the internet it should install the available drivers from the Windows Update repository upon successfully entering Windows. After that has happened and you have verified that everything is working at least somewhat correctly, you can update your drivers manually from AMD's Support Search.

If anything goes wrong you can post back here and we'll be able to better help you with knowledge of what is actually happening at that point.

Best of luck.

Solution

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
That sounds like a good approach, as my profile shows am a apprentice. Just wanted to have my ducks in row when UPS delivers the ATI tomorrow...So with that said it's better to use the amd website vs a possible outdated disk with the vid card???

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

To be honest I would not recommend even sticking the driver disk into your PC unless you do not have access to an active internet connection as they are almost always outdated. If Windows Update cannot find a driver for you and as a consequence doesn't install anything, I would recommend going directly to the website and installing that driver first and foremost to decrease the amount of issues that could arise overwriting drivers. If it was possible easily, I would almost recommend stopping Windows Update from installing anything as that sometimes causes issues as well.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

It's always better to use the latest drivers from the website.