Please help me recover files from a crashed HDD

Hazmat55

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
1st problem:
MY HDD crashed its a WD4000KD 400gb the OS Win 7 black screen "disk boot error disk not found"
i bought a Startech SATA to USB docking station to recover my files, according to what i read, it said to plug usb to PC or Laptop in this case i plugged usb to my Laptop i5 toshiba
Win 7 ultimate, pretty much plug n play, it said it would show up as a mass storage unit.
well it doesnt do any of that, once i plugged it in, it downloaded a drive it made a shime, it said ready to use, my laptop was not able to find it.
i then went through disk management and it doesnt show up, what am i doing wrong?

2nd problem:
my secondary HDD is a seagate 7200 1500gb i plug that drive in and it only shows up in the disk management drive, but i cant access it because its formatted as a dynamic drive,
i dont understand because i am running the same OS Win 7 which was able to access it previously.
when drive is docked i hear it working and spinning without making any weird clicking noises or anything that would indicate it as dead.
can some one please help me out here, on both drives.

Hazmat55

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I appreciate your comments guys, but my questions were half answered, I wanted to avoid if I could setting up my hdd as a slave inside a different PC. As I noted I bought a SATA to USB HDD dock, and I was asking if I was doing something wrong by using this as I described in my initial questions.