PLEASE help me pick parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

keivngzx

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
IM SO SORRY IF THIS IS LONG AND BORING PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!! :cry:
Hey guys so im about to build my 1st gaming rig and i really like the watercooling thing, i think it looks amazing at night or in dark places... I want it just to look nice not so much for overheating.. is going to be my 1st time building one so.. don't want to get too far in overclocking maybe just a little to get more for the money=/ AND im probably going to use a 2011

So i been searching and found Ek H30 360 HFX Advanced Liquid Cooling Kit (EK-KIT H3O 360 HFX)
and XSPC Raystorm RX360 Extreme Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit w/ RX360 Radiator
the price is about the same, the only thing is that i just want a cylinder like res and EK HFX kinda fits in but its a 150 much better if it was a 250.But i also like the CPU block on raystorm.
As i said my 1st time doing this so .. is there ANY WAY these stuff can be put togething ?
I only search up for kit is cuz i got no idea wat kinda of fitting/tube/pump/other stuff .... etc
So if someone could please make me a list of thing that i can buy budget around $300 going to install it on a CM hafx 942. And i want big tubings and what do kill coil do ?Forgot something humm i want the water or coolant watever is called to be clearly blue so i heard some ppl say put distill water and watever color food dye?

Solution
if your using distilled water every 6 months flush the water, and use some type of stabilizer for the water. I use water wetter but I have heard that kill coils work, but I have never used them. don't get me wrong about adding stuff to your system, I would be considered the black sheep here among the other water coolers with the stuff I add to the water, and the way I treat my systems. but I have been doing this for a long time, and I guess that I am still a old school type of person. when it comes to the new stuff that can be added to your system, I don't know much about it. so trust me if I say please don't add something, I have good reason for it.

hay, here is how I do a fill system for my builds...

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
ok, well let me be a little blunt to begin with, but pleases do not get mad, it's just my opinion, and I tend to be harsh. 1) read the water cooling sticky

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265776-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky

2) I do not like prebuilt, but if you most go with one, the ray storm is the better of the two, but I like swiftech, so I would suggest one of their prebuilt systems.

3) you would be better off putting a system together yourself, and learning from the experience, water cooling can be a time consuming hobby.

ok, now that that is out of the way, all you need is a radiator, fans, block, and pump.
now doesn't that sound easy, there is a lot more to it, but let's start there. after you have made a decision on the parts that you would like to have, but have not bought yet, let us know, and we can work on helping you get it together properly. I enjoy water cooling, and it does allow me to play with over clocking a little. and that a gene is a time consuming hobby, and even more reading involved, but still I find it fun and rewording to push my hardware as far as possible. I hope this helps.

+1 to reading the sticky for some basic knowledge,
and I would also vote for the RX Raystorm kit out of those two,
there are plenty of cylindrical reservoirs out there,
I like http://photos.dangerden.com/gallery/8756307_evbRH#!i=579446510&k=EX4DF
http://www.frozenqpcmods.com/lf.php
(I have two of the blue 250 liquid fusions)
but if you scooch around modding/W/c sites you'll find a lot more,
and maybe pick up some more ideas as to how you are going to proceed,
we will help you out but we won't write a shopping list for you,
we help you learn and point you in the right direction, it benefits you much more :)
Moto

keivngzx

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Well do u guys think a Kits is better or all diff parts ? If so whats a good pump and a 360rad with a cylinder like res(budget $300) only Cpu cooling. And one last question if i want it too look clear blue or red if u know wat i mean... how do i do it (distill water with color food dye?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
1) different parts
2)swiftech MPC655
3)jest look around for a res like the one you wont
4) I like glow paint for that premise

glowtube009.jpg

I hope this helps.

keivngzx

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Hum how about 360 rad? and i guess im going to get the raystorm waterblock res is going to be a cylinder like. Hum wat size fitting do i use ? well i want to normal ones cuz i say someppl on youtube have those tiny ones and it doesn't look that nice. And if i use clear tubing and distill water can i add food dyes in it?

keivngzx

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I got a idea can i buy XSPC Raystorm RX360 kit and buy another cylinder like res and have 2 res running with 1 pump can i do that or you can't have 2 res running on one pump?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I have 3 rads, 2 res, and 9 blocks on one pump, so yes you can do that. I do not suggest food dye in your system, that is why I suggest a paint on the outside of the tubing. as far as tubing size 1/2 in OD 3/8 in ID is a common size tubing, and the size I use. you can go larger, but the cost goes up as well. ( with some blocks you do not have a choice about the tubing size like ram blocks, HHD blocks, and chipset blocks most of these are 3/8 in OD and 1/4 in ID tubing size fittings ) but this will not be a issue for you and your CPU block.

keivngzx

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I don't really like the colored tubes i think they look ok at daytime, looks pretty awful at night. So I just want clear tube with colorful dye/coolant hum how bad will it damage your system ? Only damage to blocks or your CPU/GPU? How many fitting will i need if im going to just have 1 res 360mm rad a pump and a CPU block ?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
if your using distilled water every 6 months flush the water, and use some type of stabilizer for the water. I use water wetter but I have heard that kill coils work, but I have never used them. don't get me wrong about adding stuff to your system, I would be considered the black sheep here among the other water coolers with the stuff I add to the water, and the way I treat my systems. but I have been doing this for a long time, and I guess that I am still a old school type of person. when it comes to the new stuff that can be added to your system, I don't know much about it. so trust me if I say please don't add something, I have good reason for it.

hay, here is how I do a fill system for my builds. http://www.fastfittings.com/plastic-push-in-fittings I use two T's and three shut off valves, you can usually find these at a hardware store. configured in this order T than shout off valve than the second T this should make a straight shot from one end to the other, now where the T's branch off is where the other two shout off valves go. now I usually would attach this right after the pump but any where will work. now you have the ability to force the system to flow throw a make shift reservoir. a 2 liter container or half gallon container works well for this purpose. attach hoses about two feet long to the ends of the two shout off valves, and put both of them into the container. you will need to fill the container with distilled water or whatever you use as a liquid coolant. ok so you know the direction of the flow, that is that, one of the hoses is putting water into the container. while the other one would be pulling water out of the container, pull the draw line out of the container. the easiest way I have found to prime a system is to either use a large syringe( not the type with a needle)but used for filling medical nutrition bags, for line feeders, or a squeeze bottle with a end that is large enough to be pushed into the end of the hose to make a tight fit. then start filling your system as much as possible by hand. then when you don't think that you can get any more air out of the system by hand. fill the intake hose as much as possible and shove it back into the container and turn your pump on. it may take a little time to get all of the air out of the system but the pump should be able to handle it from here. once all of the air is out of the system simply turn the intake and outlet valves off and the center valve to the on position remove the fill hoses from the shout off valves and you are done. flush is done the same way but use two containers one full one empty does this make since?

Solution

four resses,three rads two pumps on my loop, yes you can add to an Xspc kit because thats how my loop started, with an RX240 kit, added two T-virus reservoirs and am almost finished on my radbox, which will see my two Asus 6950DCII's modified and watercooled, and has two EX360 rads as well as the second X20 750l pump/reservoir in it,
the kits are good, but if you are in the US the variety is better,,
You can get kits with the D5 pump already in

@Toolmaker, if he has the X20 res he will fill/bleed from its top port, regardless of adding a cylindrical res (depending on loop layout ofc)
and I still think your wires there are cool :)
Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.