[TS2] Can only install 1 or 2 houses at a time--FIX/Workar..

Last response: in Video Games
November 22, 2004 1:04:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

There's a post in the Build FAQs at Parsimonious.org that worked for me:

http://www.parsimonious.org/houses2/faq.html
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:52:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:04:11 -0500, "hey lucy!"
<awricky@iwannabeinyourshow.com> wrote:

>There's a post in the Build FAQs at Parsimonious.org that worked for me:
>
>http://www.parsimonious.org/houses2/faq.html

So they aren't encouraging third-party objects and their own Sim Day
objects are causing problems in the game. Lovely!

I wonder whether this temp filename thing will end up affecting
third-party objects, if we ever get any. I hope they fix this in the
patch.

Anyway, thanks for the link! Lately, I've been installing one house
at a time. I wonder whether that's faster or renaming the @#$%ing
temp files is faster. I guess I can test that at some point. I find
that if I load the game, exit, install a new house, and load the game
again, it loads almost instantly. I've kind of stopped installing
houses because I know I won't be playing them anytime soon. But I'm
still downloading and saving them!

BW
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 3:18:33 PM

<barbara@bookpro.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:04:11 -0500, "hey lucy!"
> <awricky@iwannabeinyourshow.com> wrote:
>
> >There's a post in the Build FAQs at Parsimonious.org that worked for me:
> >
> >http://www.parsimonious.org/houses2/faq.html
>
> So they aren't encouraging third-party objects and their own Sim Day
> objects are causing problems in the game. Lovely!
>
> I wonder whether this temp filename thing will end up affecting
> third-party objects, if we ever get any. I hope they fix this in the
> patch.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the link! Lately, I've been installing one house
> at a time. I wonder whether that's faster or renaming the @#$%ing
> temp files is faster. I guess I can test that at some point. I find
> that if I load the game, exit, install a new house, and load the game
> again, it loads almost instantly. I've kind of stopped installing
> houses because I know I won't be playing them anytime soon. But I'm
> still downloading and saving them!
>
> BW

LOL! I'm still downloading and saving, too--but I think we're better off
having NOT installed every house. Bear with me and I'll explain below.

I think this workaround is most useful if you want to install multiple
copies of a packaged lot you've already checked out. For example, say we
get Libby the game and she designs the perfect little suburban rambler. You
decide you want to make an entire subdivision of "Libby lots." Using the
workaround, you can install fifteen copies of the house at once and make
that subdivision. It's definitely worth renaming the temp files in this
scenario.

On the other hand, I'm mortified by the house install routine--I can't
believe Maxis didn't think this one through! As it stands now, when a house
is installed, any custom content on the lot is installed with it. Yes, it's
great not to have to worry about a shopping list, but think of the GUID
conflicts, not to mention more malicious object hacks!

It also cripples the trustworthy object makers out there. I'll use Inge
Jones as an example, because I love her stuff and she works very hard to
make hacks that don't harm the game. The first teleporter Inge made had
some problems, and she's now released an update. But say someone downloaded
the first teleporter, made a great house that included that object, and put
it up for download. Some of the best house designers don't ever actually
play the game, so this person might not be aware that the teleporter has a
problem. You download the house, install it, it overwrites your good
teleporter, and all of a sudden you have every NPC in the game appearing on
your lot. Since the house install routine doesn't inform you that it's
installing custom content, you have no idea why your game just went wonky.
Meanwhile, Inge is going nuts trying to figure out what's wrong with the
updated teleporter because players insist that that's the only one they've
installed and it's acting just like the first version. Not a pretty
picture, eh?

In order to avoid this kind of nightmare, we're going to need an easy way to
see inside the house files, and a way to delete the custom content they
contain before we install them. In the meantime, I think the safest way to
go is to install one house at a time, checking your downloads after each
install. If a new house adds an object that conflicts with your existing
downloads you'll need to remove the item, repackage the lot without it if
you want to keep the house, and then delete the new object and reinstall the
old one. What a PITA! And the same goes for occupied lots with custom
clothing.

As far as third-party objects go, I hope to God we get some type of tool
like T-mog that can assign a relatively unique GUID. Otherwise, we'll be
spending more time with SimPe hacking the numbers than we will playing the
game.

~Lucy

BTW, I haven't forgotten that I owe you some tutorials for TS1, BW--Real
life just keeps getting in the way....
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:37:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:18:33 -0500, "hey lucy!"
<awricky@iwannabeinyourshow.com> wrote:

>BTW, I haven't forgotten that I owe you some tutorials for TS1, BW--Real
>life just keeps getting in the way....

Don't worry--I have had NO time when I could have used them anyway.
Darn that pesky real life!

BW
!