Wireless Router to LAN

Scott_11

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hello,

I assume one can just attach a wireless router to an existing LAN?

It will be an endpoint attached to my ethernet LAN which already is connected to the internet. Laptop users can just authenticate to the router and be able to have internet connectivity.

Is it really just that simple?
Thanks, Scott

Similar to this?

[switch](lan)<--wire-->(wan)[wireless router]

As configured, all clients on the WAN side of the router will be prevented from accessing clients behind the WAN due to the router’s firewall. Those clients behind the router will need to be on a different subnet and will have their own DHCP server. The Internet and any clients on the WAN side of the router remain accessible by clients behind the router.

roy124

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Not sure I understand eibgrad's advice.

"I assume one can just attach a wireless router to an existing LAN?"

Maybe

"It will be an endpoint attached to my ethernet LAN which already is connected to the internet."

I had a wireless modem/router attached to my PC. That is the LAN

The wireless could then connect to the laptop as well. That is a WLAN (not a WAN which is wide area network).

The question is what do you plug the wirelss router in to? Answer, into the Modem. It will then broadcast and can be picked up by the laptop. It is (in theory) that simple.

The complication comes from the necessity of setting up a WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption for security.

Laptop users can just authenticate to the router and be able to have internet connectivity.

Is it really just that simple?
Thanks, Scott