tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
When you right click a hard drive in Windows Explorer, Properties, Sharing, you have an option to share or do not share this folder. Why would anyone want to share their hard drive if you're not on a network? Even when you elect Do Not Share This Folder it says its only temporary. I've disabled Remote Assistance in Services.msc and Secondary Login for security. Or does this "share" have nothing to do with that? Microsoft Help on that window was useless as always.

Right... that "share" has everything to do with Local Area Network sharing... it is by default for several reasons, 1. because the setting hasn't been changed since the first Windows XP release.. and 2nd because Windows XP was meant as a Local Network Operative System... as for the Home Edition, I wouldn't know if it's also set by default, but if it is, it's probably because the Home Edition is a variant of the Professional Edition.

On a home computer that's not in a Home Network, you can also disable other Services like:
Remote Assistance Service and all others referring to Remote Assistance, also other services like; Computer Browser, Server, Telnet, Telephony, Messenger, and Remote Registry... and from the Control Panel> System>Remote> disable; Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop. You may also search the Net for other Services Configurations to secure your system against intrussion.

A reliable Services Profile is Black Viper’s Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations. See from Safe, to Bare-Bones and apply your prefererred Services Profile

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Does anybody know why it reverts back to sharing and if there's a solution? Or does it matter once I've set Services parameters to stop sharing like Chicano suggested? I've already stopped most or all of those from working but I need to check to make sure every one is done.

Once you have set the Computer Browser and Server Services, the drives should not revert back to shared.

Also, before you disable each Service, check in the Dependencies tab, and see on which other service it depends on, and which services depend on it.. because some services may not stop untill you have disabled it's dependent services first. You may also have to restart the computer before the changes can take effect.