Feb 4, 2010
Here is all the spec to the computer:
-Intel E7500 Processor (2.93 GHz) - brand new
-MSI G41TM-E43 Motherbaord - brand new
-4GB DDR2 RAM - brand new
-30 GB HDD - Will upgrade to 500 GB in the next week
-HP DVD Player

Here's the problem:
When trying to power up the system, nothing happens. Everything is in the right place. NOTE: My power supply has a 20-pin plug and the motherboard has a 24-pin adapter. ALSO NOTE: My power supply is about 5 years old, and only has 200W.
Should I upgrade the power supply to something bigger (400W - 500W) or is this something more serious?

If you need more info, just ask.
Thanks.

shovenose

Distinguished
you definitely need a MUCH better su. the one you are using isnt powerful enough, and it's way too old. The Corsair 400CX would be sufficient for ur current config, but if you want to upgrade anything, jsc's second linked psu would be dandy for that purpoes. NEVER use lousy old psu's for newer builds, its just screaming BAD IDEA

soxhawk

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
So just to clarify, I definitely need a new power supply, but 400W should be enough for that set up? If I want a graphics card (or anything else), I will probably need to upgrade to 550W? Sorry if these questions seem obvious, this is my first build.

daship

Distinguished
Those old Power supplies relied more on the 5v and nowadays its all about the 12v, but it might still power up your PC for a day or 2 til you get a new one, you definately need a new one.

To power it you need to plug the 20pin to the 24 pin on the mobo, and you need a 4 pin that plugs into the 12v atx power for the cpu. The cpu needs the 4pin plug and the fan plug plugged in in order to turn on.

your power supply may not have the 4 pin for the CPU.