Sign in with
Your question

SSD Boot Drive and Separate HDD's with Intel SRT enabled question

Last response: in Storage
October 20, 2011 8:24:06 AM

My original plan for my new gaming build was to use a P67 motherboard with a 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD as a boot drive and two Western Digital Caviar Black drives in RAID 0 for storage.

I was told that since I only plan to use this PC for gaming and entertainment (music/DVD/Blu-Ray playback) RAID 0 would serve no benefit at all when it comes to loading files and game levels.

I want to know if RAID 0 would make a difference for me, which brings me to my new plan.

I have now started looking at Z68 motherboards with Intel SRT technology.

1.) Is it possible to have the 120GB SSD as a dedicated boot drive/main program drive and also use a separate 20-60 GB SSD as a SRT/Cache drive for my two Western Digital Caviar Blacks?

2.) Would the hard drives work as two independent drives or as a RAID Array since SRT only works in RAID mode?

3.) Would the SSD Cache drive degrade over time since TRIM commands are supported in RAID mode which is required for SRT to work?

I hope you guys can help, I've never messed with any RAID configurations let alone new SRT from Intel although I have built PC's in the past.
October 20, 2011 3:44:22 PM

jewie27 said:
My original plan for my new gaming build was to use a P67 motherboard with a 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD as a boot drive and two Western Digital Caviar Black drives in RAID 0 for storage.

I was told that since I only plan to use this PC for gaming and entertainment (music/DVD/Blu-Ray playback) RAID 0 would serve no benefit at all when it comes to loading files and game levels.

I want to know if RAID 0 would make a difference for me, which brings me to my new plan.

I have now started looking at Z68 motherboards with Intel SRT technology.

1.) Is it possible to have the 120GB SSD as a dedicated boot drive/main program drive and also use a separate 20-60 GB SSD as a SRT/Cache drive for my two Western Digital Caviar Blacks?

2.) Would the hard drives work as two independent drives or as a RAID Array since SRT only works in RAID mode?

3.) Would the SSD Cache drive degrade over time since TRIM commands are supported in RAID mode which is required for SRT to work?

I hope you guys can help, I've never messed with any RAID configurations let alone new SRT from Intel although I have built PC's in the past.

bumping
m
l
a c 539 G Storage
October 20, 2011 4:09:04 PM

jewie27 said:

No. The purpose of Intel SRT is to use an SSD drive as cache to boost the performance of a single HDD with an O/S installed on it; or multiple HDDs in RAID with the O/S installed on it.

If you have a SSD with the O/S installed on it and you want to use another SSD as a cache then you need to look into something like FancyCache software.

2.) Would the hard drives work as two independent drives or as a RAID Array since SRT only works in RAID mode? said:

The SSD and the HDD together would show as one logical volume ("C:" drive for example). If you used a HDD RAID instead of a single HDD, that together with the SSD would also show as one logical volume.

3.) Would the SSD Cache drive degrade over time since TRIM commands are supported in RAID mode which is required for SRT to work? said:

No. Idle Garbage Collection (GC) from your Corsair Force 3 will maintain drive performance. Just "Log off" overnight a couple of times a month.
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2011 9:04:34 AM

Dereck47 said:
No. The purpose of Intel SRT is to use an SSD drive as cache to boost the performance of a single HDD with an O/S installed on it; or multiple HDDs in RAID with the O/S installed on it.

If you have a SSD with the O/S installed on it and you want to use another SSD as a cache then you need to look into something like FancyCache software.

The SSD and the HDD together would show as one logical volume ("C:" drive for example). If you used a HDD RAID instead of a single HDD, that together with the SSD would also show as one logical volume.

No. Idle Garbage Collection (GC) from your Corsair Force 3 will maintain drive performance. Just "Log off" overnight a couple of times a month.

Can SRT be used to accelerate a Raid 0 HDD array?

Is RAID 0 helpful in gaming?
m
l
a c 539 G Storage
October 22, 2011 3:23:30 PM

jewie27 said:
Can SRT be used to accelerate a Raid 0 HDD array?

Is RAID 0 helpful in gaming?

Yes, SRT can accelerate a RAID-0 HDD array.

Sorry, don't know how much real world gaming performance RAID-0 is.
m
l
October 22, 2011 5:38:41 PM

I want to have a SSD boot drive and SRT accelerating a RAID 0 Array of HDD's.
m
l
a c 539 G Storage
October 22, 2011 5:58:00 PM

jewie27 said:
I want to have a SSD boot drive and SRT accelerating a RAID 0 Array of HDD's.

Sorry, you can't do that. With SRT your boot drive will be your RAID-0 HDD.
m
l
March 6, 2012 6:17:12 PM

Dereck47 said:
Sorry, you can't do that. With SRT your boot drive will be your RAID-0 HDD.

Hello. Dereck you sound like a guy that could help me. I have an Intell 80gb SSD and 1TB Seagate HDD. As you said the SRT gives me only 80 gb setup and would like to seperate theses drives. With OS on the SSD, which it currently is with drivers ect. Now im held up trying to have C: and D: drives and cant seem to seprate the 2. Originally had OS installed and started loading software and games and soon was full. I can't seem to access the rest of the Seagate 1TB capacity so without losing too much performance. Is partition the answer and if it is how would it be done. Any help would be appriciated.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:39:16 AM

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but im having similar questions that I though you might be able to answer. I recently purchased a dell xps 8500 with a 2tb HDD and a 32Gb srt SSD. It is coming from the factory setup with the HDD as the boot drive. Is there any way for me to use that ssd as my boot drive? i realize that its a small SSD, but I figure I can upgrade it in the future. Do I need to do anything internally to do this or is it all software, and how difficult is this stuff to figure out? I used windows for years but I havent touched one since I bought my first mac over 7 years ago I feel im going to be quite rusty.

Thanks for any help!
m
l
!