toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
WOW!!! Have you guys seen the new raspberry PI, this baby makes the ardino look like a joke, and I like the ardino, but man are they going to have to step up to the plate on this one.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I felt this deserved some attention, for those of you how are into this stuff, like I am. this will be the way to go for building DVR systems, multimedia centers, controller boards, and many more. I might not sleep for a week thinking of the stuff I could build with this.

Seen/heard the buzz about a year ago I think, resisting the urge to buy for the exact same reason,
I bought a pack of four Usb drives, one went into a clipper lighter, one went into a Rizla packet (Cigarette papers)
one into a prittstick glue tube (yes the spiral thing works to pop it out and retract)
and don't remember the last mod lol
You really can't leave me unattended for two minutes lol
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Dude, you can buy them already, I have only seen prototypes floating around EBay for around the $100.00 range. man talk about gouging prices, but if people will pay, I guess I cant hate the player, but I sour do hate the game. I will resist the desire to buy until I have seen some practical builds from normal people, although you have to admit if it works the way they claim for once, it could revolutionize the small PC world. I just had to get that out. I have several ardino models, and none are as versatile as they have clammed this to be. the release date is soon, and I will be waiting. maybe I will go to the electronics convention agene this year to check it out further. man I am so wired right now, I need to go calm down.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
As far as I know, the main purpose of the project is to provide a basic module to children so that they can play with and learn computer programming in their early age. I doubt machine built with that goal and cheap cost in mind can handle much demanding jobs. Of course with many later attachment it may achieve some potential, but itself is still an education machine, like its origin Acorn machine.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Yea, but I don't look at things for what they are, but what could it be. (EX : the Apollo project turning missiles into man carriers ) if not for innovation where would this world be today. so yes it is a programming tool, the same could be said for the ardino microcontrollers, it will teach you C++ programming, and we know that is not what they built it for. all I am trying to say is that this thing has the potential to be so much more, I used to be a programmer years ago, so this is not a new concept to me. I have used socket 7 boards to make multimedia centers/DVR systems, but that is a full PC, and not necessary for that purpose, it can be achieved with so much less.

gmkos

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah, I was going to buy one on release day a few months ago, but they sold out fast!

Its hard not to want one at that price, but I don't have a practical use anyways, aside from show-and-tell.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
but that is what we are here for to find those new purposes for the tech with a little ingenuity and some trial and error we can make them all they can be. for my first project I will try to make it into a video capture device, for TV signal. when successful I will upgrade to multimedia capturing device, and then finally the DVR for all around capture of different media. the hope is to make the process as simple as possible.