Sign in with
Your question

Upgading to a Dual core AM2+ on AM2 board

Last response: in CPUs
February 4, 2010 5:53:23 PM

Hi people,

I'm in a bit of a hole here and could do with some advice.

I've just bought this new CPU for my pc:

The original is a single core AMD athlon 64bit 2.2GHz. on a ASUStech NODUSM motherboard, with Phoenix V3.04 (2006) BIOS. it's a Compaq Presario SR1909UK originally.

CPU-Z tells me my socket is AM2 (940) I'm not sure what the 940 is to be honest.

When I installed the new CPU i noticed that the fan supplied has a 4 pin connector (black, red, yellow, blue) instead of my 3 pin connector on the board (Blck, red, blue) I assumed that the extra lead is just for variable fan speed and connected my original fan.

When i switched on the CPU fan and the casing fan ran at full speed (v loud) for about 60secs, with no output to the monitor at all, then switched itself off completely. This happened the 2nd time as well.
I put my old CPU back in and it's working again, back at square one.

I've read online that some brands like Dell don't use BIOS which supports intercompatability between the two socket types, could this be it?

If anyone has any advice i'd be really gratefull. Just spent £50 on this thing, i'd rather not waste it!

Thanks, Jon

a c 159 à CPUs
February 4, 2010 8:00:04 PM

If you don't feel comfortable changing out the motherboard, sell the cpu on craigslist. Next time assume the worst for upgrading the cpu; dell, hp, gateway etc board bios are pretty limited for newer cpus. But you might find a newer compaq micro atx board on ebay that will work. Also, your windows operating system may require a compaq or hp bios; otherwise, I would recommend another brand of board without the hp bios.
February 4, 2010 8:21:42 PM

thanks o1die,

I've just seen this on ebay at a very quick glance
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-A8M2N-LA-NodusM-GL8E-HP-COMPAQ...

so i could probably stretch to changing the board. thing is i've already spent approx £160 on 800w power supply, Nvidia GT 240 GFX card and 3 gb of ram, in order to render 3d architectural work.
The cpu is now getting bottle-necked from the gfx card and it's crashing.

after 50 on the new cpu, I'm bothered i'm throwing money away upgrading a dog of a machine if i put a new motherboard in.

could i change the BIOS in some way, either by updating it or d/l'ing new altogether?
Related resources
February 4, 2010 8:39:24 PM

As for the Op system, with a dual core cpu i'd probably get hold of windows 7 to run on it anyhow.
a c 148 à CPUs
February 4, 2010 10:57:34 PM

Hp says that processor is supported; If you already have the latest bios then I suggest you call them.

Bios: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadInde...

From their online motherboard specifications:
Socket: AM2
Supports the following processors:
AMD Athlon 64
Athlon 64 X2 up to 5000+
AMD Sempron
February 4, 2010 11:12:09 PM

popatim said:
Hp says that processor is supported; If you already have the latest bios then I suggest you call them.

Bios: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadInde...

From their online motherboard specifications:
Socket: AM2
Supports the following processors:
AMD Athlon 64
Athlon 64 X2 up to 5000+
AMD Sempron

You need to look closer. The X2 5000 the OP purchased is the queer 45nm ex-quad dual core based on Phenom II. If he would have purchased a regular old K8 Athlon X2, then he would have been alright.
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2010 11:22:29 PM

I remembered seeing that cpu listed when it suddenly appeared for sale again. The original X2 5000 was a Black Edition which was 2.6ghz default at 95w I believe. The version you have listed is some hybrid (can't thing of a better word) running at 2.2ghz and only 65w and not a Black Edition. I suspect there is no bios support currently on your board for this chip, it's also weird that the model number was reused.
The 940 is a pin count for you am2 socket which is also the pin out of the original AMD X2 5000BE. Earlier AM(1) boards were 939 pins and the newever Am3 socket is 939 pins again but uses the same 940 pin socket set as an Am2 less one pin.
February 5, 2010 11:34:47 AM

thanks guys, that's cleared up a lot of things.

think i may have screwed myself here! i took out installation damage insurance on the part when i bought it so maybe thats an option. otherwise I guess I'm upgrading the motherboard. there seem to be a few ASUS boards on ebay at reasonable 2nd hand prices.

So I can avoid this again, if a get a board with an AM2+ socket, will that definately be ok? And is there a specific type of BIOS chip I should make sure it has?

Thanks again, Jon
February 5, 2010 11:56:52 AM

Go to Newegg they have some good prices last month they had a $79 board for $48 after sale and the rebate also look at the 600w. and 650w. power supply on E-Bay put the item on watch an if no body bids you can bid on it in the last 5min don't wait any longer or you will not have time to buy the item I paid $9.99 for a new 600w. power supply I have gotten some very good buys that way I have used Square Trade insurance all you do is call them they even download you a ups mailing label prepaid box the item up an send it they tell you how to wrap the item in 3 weeks you get a check it only cost about $20 a year more for for 2 or 3yrs.
a c 83 à CPUs
February 5, 2010 6:32:08 PM

Find a cheap AM2+ board, and before you purchase it go to it's manufacturers website to find a cpu compatibility list for that board before purchasing it.
February 5, 2010 9:05:39 PM

Check the bio battery I was having trouble the battery only checked out at 2.3v. it should be at least 3v. I
replaced the battery that fixed it but I think you have a different problem my computer wouldn't start rite it kept loosing drivers an everything else Have A Great Day Chuck
February 6, 2010 12:08:57 AM

Thanks all,

You've all helped me come round to the fact that i should have done better research into what i was doing and that the solution is to replace the m/board with a second hand AM2+ board. I've found this board

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=20...

I've been on the ASUS site and can't see where to find a CPU compatibility list.
Can anyone tell me where the list is or whether it will support it? My thinking is that i have better odds sticking with ASUS in terms of compatibility and board dims for my casing. I've messaged the seller the same question. Just hoping i can get an answer before the auction ends.

Thanks again, Jon.
June 27, 2011 1:06:58 AM

jonhowe said:
Hi people,

I'm in a bit of a hole here and could do with some advice.

I've just bought this new CPU for my pc:

The original is a single core AMD athlon 64bit 2.2GHz. on a ASUStech NODUSM motherboard, with Phoenix V3.04 (2006) BIOS. it's a Compaq Presario SR1909UK originally.

CPU-Z tells me my socket is AM2 (940) I'm not sure what the 940 is to be honest.

When I installed the new CPU i noticed that the fan supplied has a 4 pin connector (black, red, yellow, blue) instead of my 3 pin connector on the board (Blck, red, blue) I assumed that the extra lead is just for variable fan speed and connected my original fan.

When i switched on the CPU fan and the casing fan ran at full speed (v loud) for about 60secs, with no output to the monitor at all, then switched itself off completely. This happened the 2nd time as well.
I put my old CPU back in and it's working again, back at square one.

I've read online that some brands like Dell don't use BIOS which supports intercompatability between the two socket types, could this be it?

If anyone has any advice i'd be really gratefull. Just spent £50 on this thing, i'd rather not waste it!

Thanks, Jon

!