ap70

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hello,

I guess I will need help from the most skilled brains here!!

I am on W7 64B, with two 500Gbs WD blue (very sloow) on RAID 1.
The hard drives are conected to the SATA 3Gbs ports.

I am planning to buy two new Western Digital VelociRaptor WD4500HLHX 450GB
and have them connected to the SATA 6Gbs ports.

As far as I know I can break the RAID 1, replace the second hard drive, re-mount the RAID1, make a mirror from drive 1, boot from the new drive 2, and break raid and replace drive 1, mirror and remount Raid.

However, I believe that if I change the SATA ports in this process I will get problems right???

Any suggestions how to do it properly?

Thanks in Advance!!!

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I know that interchanging them between SATA 3Gbs ports won't screw up the RAID but, I'm not sure about going to SATA 6Gbs ports. I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I don't think there is any harm in giving it a try. Otherwise you could always hook up one of the new drives and clone your raid over to it and then hook up the other drive to rebuild the mirror.
adaman

ap70

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Thanks Adaman,

I had a bad experience a few months ago when I moved some long sata cables to distant drives on my case. At that time the computer won't boot because the mother board could not find the proper path and I had to find out where my drives were before.

I like your idea of installing the new drive on the SATA 6Gbs, mirroring the old C:, breaking Raid, installing the second new on the second STA 6Gbs and make the computer to boot from there.

I am not sure if there is any problems with files linked to C: that will never find the path again..??

Maybe reinstalling W7 fresh and reinstalling all softwares etc....will be less painfull.

Thanks anyway.

I will post the solution here soon I get hands on it.