Windows 7 64 bit-really how much ram?

dse879

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Guys I know this question is being going around but I don't see a clear answer.

I buying a new laptop with windows 7 64 bit, processor i5-520m, the video car has 512mb of dedicated memory. I cannot decide on much ram to buy. Should I get 4GB or 6 GB? I've read that for 64 bit OS it is recomended 4GB, but is it realy necessary to have 6GB or is it just marketing? Among the things I do are: surf the web a lot, video calls, do homework, listen to music, having about 12 programs open at the same time. I also watch TV with slingbox (in my old laptop) and plan to play blueray movies.

What do you guys recomend for now and the future? I'm planning to keep my laptop for maybe 5 years.

Thanks!!!

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I recommend the 6 GB if you really want to have 12 programs open all the time and be very safe for 5 years.

On the other hand, it is most likely that 4 GB will be more than you need most of the time as none of the uses you list are particularly memory intensive.

So it really depends on how certain you want to be that memory will not impact performance.

Also if you want to allow for eventally getting into video coding and or editing, with lots of programs open, then you might also want the 6 GB to provide better assurance for 5 years.

randomkid

Distinguished

I think it's the otherway around. If you need more than 4GB RAM, then you must go 64 bit OS.

There is really no way to know how much you need unless you try. 4 GB should be enough for starters. If it turns out its enough, then you save unnecessary RAM expense. And you can always add more RAM when you feel any slow down during actual usage.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Regarding the minimum 4 GB memory, I think OP was referring to 64 bit operations requiring more than the old, lower recommended amounts for 32 bit.

Since 2 x 2 GB is the sweet spot - and you want to keep memory in pairs, you might consider getting the 2 x 2 GB now, and if and when you need more adding another 2 x 2 GB. Of course you could go for adding 2 x 1 GB later if you need to save $50. In an older machine I ran 3 GB composed of 2 x 1 GB and 2 x 500 MB without any problems.

It used to be that 2 sticks would OC better than 4 sticks, but I have not kept up with that on Windows 7 and current mobos - so don't know if that is a relevant consideration if you might be considering OC. Can anyone else help out on this point?