Sign in with
Your question

RAM orientation on motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 29, 2010 6:57:12 AM

Hello,

After installing new RAM on motherboard and starting the computer, their was this 'electronic burining' smell and the computer switched off automatically. Upon inspection, the "south bridge" was a little warm to the touch and the RAM had been installed the wrong way around. After correcting this, the computer would start (LEDs and fans were working), didn't produce that smell anymore and also didn't turn itself off. But other then that, the computer appeared dead; there was no signal to the screen or the keyboard or the mouse. Would the motherboard be permanently damaged?
a c 96 V Motherboard
May 29, 2010 8:11:15 AM

Possibly. Grab some new ram and see. From reading about ram installed the wrong way the motherboard may or may not be dead. I've heard reports both ways. Usually its ok but don't be surprised if it is.
m
l
a c 101 V Motherboard
May 30, 2010 3:14:30 AM

I agree with zip - RAM has orientation notches. Look for a problem elsewhere.
m
l
Related resources
a c 96 V Motherboard
May 30, 2010 4:04:18 AM

Um, with enough force you can get them to go backwards. PC Modder did an article about it one time.
m
l
a c 101 V Motherboard
May 30, 2010 12:06:48 PM

I am baffled! Why would anyone use brute force to install RAM? In the very rare instances that this is done, they should be prepared to live with the consequences.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 31, 2010 4:25:28 PM

What the...? How do you even do that?

Anytime you actually can smell something burning you know something is very very wrong. I fried my mobo (without burning smell) and the symptom was all lights and fans came on, but no POST.

It might be dead RAM and the mobo is ok... who knows.
m
l
!